KUALA TERENGGANU: Terengganu has recorded an increase of almost 200% in hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) cases this year.
Dr Alias Razak, who is the state exco in charge of local government, housing, health and environment, said 524 cases were detected between Jan 18 and July 18.
“This is about a 192.7% increase compared to the same period last year where 179 cases were detected,” he said in a statement.
There were minor cases detected earlier in the year but a noticeable rise around mid-June.
Children aged between one and six in Terengganu were mostly affected, where 454 of them contracted the disease caused by Coxsackie Virus A16 and Enterovirus-71.
Several kindergartens were ordered to close after cases of the disease were detected there.
More recently, two kindergartens – Taska Keluarga Permata Kampung Raja in Besut and Taska Permata Medan Jaya in Marang – remain closed and are expected to resume operations next week.
Dr Alias said efforts were being carried out to control the disease, including checks at houses, kindergarten, nurseries and schools as well as disinfection exercises in those premises.
He advised parents and teachers to maintain the highest hygiene standards to check for symptoms at the school gates before children are allowed in,” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?