KUALA LUMPUR: The RM1.1bil valuation of the cash and luxury items seized from premises linked to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is not an exaggeration, says Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun.
The Inspector-General of Police said experts who assisted investigators came out with the figure.
“The valuation of the items was not done by the police.
“We had experts come in to assess all the items seized from the premises.
“The estimation was not done based on our whims and fancies; we had to follow proper procedures,” he told reporters after presenting awards yesterday to the best performing state and district police headquarters during Ops Selamat.
Mohamad Fuzi noted that the cash seized was counted with the assistance of Bank Negara officers while the luxury handbags and watches, along with jewellery, were assessed by experts.
Asked if Najib would be allowed to view the items seized, Mohamad Fuzi said the police would consider the request according to right procedures.
On the status of the investigation, Mohamad Fuzi said there were several angles to it.
“Give us time to thoroughly investigate the matter,” he said.
On Wednesday, Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department director Comm Datuk Seri Amar Singh revealed that the cash and items seized amounted to almost RM1.1bil in the ongoing probe into 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB), making it the biggest seizure in Malaysian history.
Later that day, Najib told Malaysiakini that police exaggerated the price of jewellery and other items seized, saying that the valuation, particularly for jewellery, was “subjective and unrealistic”.
He also said that many of the items were gifts from foreign leaders and friends.
On the hunt for fugitive politician Datuk Seri Jamal Yunos, Mohamad Fuzi said the police were working with the Indonesian authorities.
“He has not been arrested. The Indonesian police are cooperating well,” he said.
On a separate matter, the IGP said the number of fatal accidents had declined at this year’s Ops Selamat for the Hari Raya period – June 8 to 22 – compared to last year.
“The number of deaths showed a 3.5% decrease, with 248 deaths recorded this year; there were 257 last year.”
However, the total number of accidents showed a slight increase – from 22,402 cases to 22,411.
Among those who attended yesterday’s event were TM One chief operating officer Mohd Roslan Mohd Rashidi, Bukit Aman Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department director Senior Asst Comm Sharul Othman and Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Mazlan Mansor.