GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Hindu Endowment Board (PHEB) will file an appeal on the dismissal of its judicial review application against the Penang Immigration Department, Director-General of Immigration and Malaysia Hindu Sangam.
PHEB executive director M. Ramachandran said the board would file the appeal by the end of Feb after consulting its lawyers.
It refuted a statement by Malaysia Hindu Sangam (MHS) president Datuk R.S. Mohan Shan who said the Penang High Court on Jan 30 had dismissed the application and recognised MHS as the official body to issue supporting letters to bring in priests, musicians, artisans and other temple workers from India.
“The court only granted MHS the right to issue a confirmation or supporting letter to the Immigration Department and nowhere in the dismissal does it say that the organisation is recognised as the official body,” said Ramachandran at a press conference in Komtar yesterday.
PHEB filed the judicial review in July last year seeking to make public the application process by the Immigration Department and MHS and the validity of such a requirement.
However, it was rejected by the High Court which said a directive on the matter was issued by the Cabinet in 2000, thus making the MHS supporting letter a valid document.