‘Don’t worry, we are all safe’


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 08 Mar 2017

PETALING JAYA: “Don’t worry about us, we are all safe.”

This is the message from one of the Malaysians being held hostage in North Korea amid the escalating diplomatic standoff between the two countries following the assassination of Kim Jong-nam, the exiled half-brother of North Korean ruler Kim Jong-un on Feb 13.

Mohd Nor Azrin Md Zain, counsellor at the Malaysian embassy in Pyongyang, said the Malaysians were in constant touch with Wisma Putra and with their families back home.

“We have already contacted them individually and are updating them from time to time, so they know of our status here. Right now, there is nothing to be worried about,” he said when contacted.

His relatives back in Malaysia have expressed worry over the safety of the counsellor and his family.

He is believed to be in Pyongyang together with his wife and their three young children.

Safe with dad: Mohd Nor Azrin (right) taking a selfie with his wife and three children in Pyongyang.
Safe with dad: Mohd Nor Azrin (right) taking a selfie with his wife and three children in Pyongyang

Mohd Nor Azrin said there were 11 Malaysians recorded to be in North Korea, comprising three embassy employees, six of their family members and two others working for the World Food Programme (WFP), a United Nations agency. All of them are now at the diplomatic compound of the Malay­sian embassy.

Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican had earlier told reporters in Parliament that everyone at the embassy was asked to leave North Korea immediately but were stopped. However, there was no immediate threat to their safety.

It is understood that the other two Malaysian embassy staff members in Pyongyang now are the ambassador’s personal assistant, Noor Saaidah Jamaludin, and administrative assistant Nirmala Malar Kodi Singaram.

Asked on his advice to Malaysians worried about their fate, Mohd Nor Azrin urged Malaysians to get their latest information on the row from Wisma Putra instead of unverified sources.

“On our part, we will continue to do our work as we have been instructed and as public servants.”

Another Malaysian at the embassy, who declined to be named, said she was in Pyongyang with her husband and child.

“What I can say is that everything is normal at the embassy, and there is nothing which has caused us to be frightened or anything. It’s just like any other day,” she said.

Separately, a WFP spokesman confirmed that it has two Malaysian staff members in North Korea.

“As UN staff members, they are international civil servants who do not represent any country.

“WFP takes the safety and security of its staff seriously and is closely monitoring the situation,” the spokesman said.

The UN headquarters also said it would look into the plight of the two WFP workers.

While those in the embassy say they are safe, a Malaysian woman in Pyongyang told Bernama that she was unaware about the temporary ban.

“Is that so? We did not receive any news about the ban,” was her immediate response when contacted.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , North Korea

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Sabah gets first batch of 16,380 Covid-19 vaccine doses
Convening of Parliament is a return to democracy, says James Masing
Drones used in farming to be regulated from March 1
Cops bust motorcycle theft ring with arrest of 16 suspects
Police looking for man who allegedly apostate a Muslim woman
Put national interests ahead of power struggles if Parliament is convened, says Umno veep
Ismail Sabri calls for Malay unity, saying GE15 'around the corner'
Govt's Bachelor of Education scholarship applications to open in March
Couple arrested over alleged abuse of Cambodian maid
AgeCOpe appeals for more time for care homes to pre-register for vaccine

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers