JOHOR BARU: Sixty schoolchildren from SK Taman Rinting 3, Johor Baru, are down with food poisoning after eating nasi lemak from their school canteen.
They fell ill half an hour after eating the food at recess at about 10.15am on Wednesday.
Student Mohd Muhaizan Saifudin, 11, said that he and two classmates had abdominal pains and vomited after eating the food.
"Our other friends from other classes also suffered the same fate after eating the 'nasi lemak'. It is strange, as we have never had such a problem before this," he said.
It is learnt that most of the students affected were from Year 3. When contacted, Johor Health department director Dr Mohd Khairi Yakub said that most of the students fell ill within 30 minutes after consuming the food and sent to nearby clinics and hospitals for treatment. "None of them are warded," he said adding that, the 'nasi lemak' was believed to have contained a type of bacteria called 'bacillus sereus', which causes food to become stale.
Dr Mohd Khairi said the canteen had been closed and department personnel would inspect the premises.
"We will also take samples of the 'nasi lemak' and other food items for testing," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?