Students who may be given deferment


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 13 Dec 2003

From the Chinese Press

THE Government may allow Chinese independent school students who are selected to attend national service training to defer a year in undergoing the training, Nanyang Siang Pau reported.  

The daily quoted Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak that this was because Chinese independent schools had a six-year programme instead of the five years in government secondary schools. 

The daily reported that the ministry would further study the matter. 

He was also quoted that students who had attended Remove Classes would be attending the national service training in 2005. 

Dong Jiao Zong, the Chinese education group, issued a statement urging Chinese independent school students who had been selected to go for national training service to inform their schools immediately. 

This was to let the school to have sufficient time to help the students to apply to the ministry to defer the national service training, it said in a statement. 

China Press reported that statistics showed that 64% of unemployed graduates were female. 

Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr Fong Chan Onn said the statistics was based on the number of unemployed graduates who signed up for retraining programmes with the ministry. 

He said a total of 6,182 graduates registered with the ministry and female made up two-thirds of them. 

Dr Fong also said most of the job vacancies in the market were sales related and male graduates picked up the skills faster than female graduates. 

The ministry would be looking into the contents of the retraining programme to help female graduates overcome the obstacles they faced, he said. 

The first batch of graduates, some 12,500 of them, who attended the first retraining programme in November, 2001, had found jobs, he said. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Perak govt says RM80k allocated under state disaster fund distributed in the form of cash, food boxes
Suhakam disappointed annual report not debated in Parliament
Muhyiddin meets PAS, Umno presidents to strengthen party ties
Covid-19: 20 Immigration officers test positive
Tok Pa: Govt speeding up development projects to minimise effects of Covid-19 pandemic on economy
This isn't a drive-thru ma'am: Woman accidentally drives into petrol station convenience store in Bangi
Top Glove says it will improve workers' accommodations
Speaker: Pasir Salak MP calling Syed Saddiq a 'budak' just a joke, no bad intentions
Covid-19: Two new clusters detected in Sabah, says Health DG
Covid-19: 1,472 new cases, three fatalities bring death toll to 363 (updated)

Stories You'll Enjoy