Several districts submerged


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 11 Dec 2003

KOTA BARU: Several districts in the three east coast states are submerged under floodwaters following continuous rain over the past four days. 

A total of 1,462 people from Jeli, Tanah Merah, Gua Musang, Kuala Krai and Pasir Mas in Kelantan had been evacuated while 753 people in Terengganu had to move out of their homes. A total of 681 evacuees in Pahang are still in nine relief centres. 

Bernama quoted a spokesman of the Kelantan Police Contingent headquarters as saying that of the total evacuees, 1,150 were from Jeli and they were now in schools, community halls and relatives' houses. 

The flood also claimed its first victim in Kelantan when a six-year-old boy Yusri Abdul Aziz was believed to have drowned after he slipped and fell into the river behind his house at Kampung Kubang Kuai, near here. 

Pasir Mas OCPD Supt Jalil Talib said the boy's body was recovered by the father, Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman, in his 50s, who had gone looking for him after realising he was missing at 11.30am. 

A spokesman of the Hydrology Unit of the Kelantan Drainage and Irrigation Department said most of the major rivers, including the Sungai Kelantan and Sungai Golok, were flowing above their respective danger levels. 

PADDLING AWAY: Nordiana Yusoff (left), 27, with her mother Naimah Salleh, 48, newborn baby (carried by Naimah), and father Yusoff Ismail, 58, leaving their house at Kampung Lobok Setol in Rantau Panjang Wednesday, after ther area was hit by floods.

Readings at various flood-assessing points in Kelantan, such as those at Tangga Krai, Guillemard Bridge and Tambatan Diraja, were also above the danger level. 

Sungai Galas in Gua Musang was flowing just above the warning level, the spokesman said. 

He said the readings at Tangga Krai in Kuala Krai and Guillemard Bridge at Sungai Kelantan were 25.98m (danger level 25m) and 17.01m (danger level 16m) respectively. 

The readings at Sungai Galas were 35.83m (alert level 35m) and Tambatan Diraja 4.57m (alert level 4m). 

In Terengganu, 697 people in Hulu Dungun and 56 in Besut had to move out of their flood-hit homes. 

Dungun OCPD Supt Abdul Ghaffar Rejab said the Kampung Tanglong-Jerangau road, Jerangau-Kuala Jengai road, Tepus-Pasir Raja road and the Tok Kah-Kampung Lintang road were closed to traffic. 

He said the Sungai Dungun Raja and the Sungai Kuala Jengai were flowing above the danger level. 

In Pahang, FARIDAH BEGUM and NIK NAIZI HUSIN report that the latest village to be hit is Kampung Bukit Rangin in Kuantan when four people were evacuated while flood-hit areas still being monitored are Jaya Gading, Kuantan, Beserah and Panching. 

Asst Supt Hashim Ya, who is overseeing the operations at the disaster control centre, said by noon yesterday, the road to Sungai Lembing was still closed to traffic and the only mode of transport to the former mining town was by helicopter. 

In clarifying reports that a drowning had occurred, ASP Hashim said villagers managed to save the victim, who had been reported drowned on Tuesday. 

Sultan of Pahang Sultan Ahmad Shah who visited the evacuees earlier, said he would write to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to appeal for assistance to rebuild the road connecting Kuantan and Sungai Lembing town as the road was still impassable to vehicles. 

He said seven spots along the route had been identified as flood-prone stretches, resulting in the town being cut-off during the monsoon season.  

He added that it would cost RM12mil to ensure that the road was not submerged in floodwaters every year.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Structural repairs on Penang Bridge to be shortened by a week
China to boost Asean ties, supports region in fight against Covid-19
Siblings aged seven, 14, injured, parents die in car-van collision
Covid-19: Sarawak records 201 new cases, two new clusters detected
Covid-19: Eight new clusters identified, five linked to workplaces
PKR’s Sekijang MP lodges report with MACC over poaching allegations
Ismail Sabri: 442 nabbed for Covid-19 SOP violations on Saturday (March 6)
Ismail Sabri: EMCO in Kg Tringgus in Bau, Sarawak from March 8-21
Dr M gives thumbs up after receiving Covid-19 vaccine
Missing girl found drowned

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers