Con man on wanted list


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 16 Feb 2003

BY NELSON BENJAMIN AND SIMON KHOO

KUALA LUMPUR: A 37-year-old con man, said to go by the title of Sir Col Datuk Dr Prince, has been arrested several times in the past 17 years for various offences and is still on the wanted list in Seremban and Selangor. 

Police here released him on bail a week after his arrest on Jan 4 for allegedly cheating dozens of businessmen by telling them that he could get them honorary doctorates from an Italian university for RM20,000. 

However, he is wanted by Selangor and Negri Sembilan police, who published his photograph, name, personal particulars and the offences he committed in local dailies on Tuesday. 

A police officer here said the suspect committed various offences, including cheating, impersonating, theft and house break-ins in Kuala Lumpur, Klang, Sungai Way, Seremban and Bangi since 1986.  

“The con man was arrested at least four times since 1986 but was never convicted,” said the officer. 

He was arrested when he tried to cheat a 41-year-old company director in a five-star hotel here.  

The officer said wanted suspects were usually arrested and handed over to the respective state police in connection with their cases.  

City Deputy CID chief Asst Comm Syed Ismail Syed Azizan confirmed the man was released on bail, adding that police had completed their investigations and were waiting for the “green light” to prosecute him. 

In Negri Sembilan, the man allegedly posed as a chief executive officer of the Persatuan Bantuan Kebajikan Keluarga India Negri Sembilan to collect donations for a crime awareness programme purportedly organised by the police, National Drug Agency, Prisons Department and Malaysian AIDS Council. 

The function was to be held on Nov 2 last year at the Terminal One shopping complex but was rescheduled to December for opening by Negri Sembilan police chief Senior Asst Comm I Datuk Ahmad Fuaad Mohd Sidek. 

City police seized letters detailing the programme during the man’s arrest in Jalan Bukit Bintang. 

“As far as I know there is no such programme scheduled at the place and dates stated in the cover letter,” said SAC Ahmad Fuaad yesterday. 

“No one approached me to ask for assistance to organise the programme and I was not invited to be the guest of honour. This is a serious matter and we will look into it. We will contact our counterparts in the city and liaise with them on the scam,” he said. 

He said the scam first came to light last October when Seremban OCPD Asst Comm Abdul Khalid Abu Hassan informed him about the matter. 

“I then instructed him to tell the public that the police were not involved in the programme,” he said. 

The suspect allegedly arranged for graduation ceremonies by renting conference rooms in hotels and hiring part-time actors to pose as deans.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Bersatu stands by Muhyiddin, says Deputy President
CITF taking measures to prevent congestion at PPVs in Klang Valley
Dr Wee expresses condolences to family of victim who died in LRT3 mishap
Confusion over BN letterhead to media on support for Muhyiddin
Thorough probe to be conducted into LRT3 construction site mishap, says Prasarana
Covid-19: Melaka govt offering columbarium niches for those facing financial problems
Najib stands with Perikatan Nasional government, but not Muhyiddin as Prime Minister
Follow SOP to reduce Covid-19 infection rate, IGP urges public
Covid-19: Cluster linked to JB Aidiladha visit among 36 new clusters
Dr M calls for PM and Cabinet to resign

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers