Primate causes a stir


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 12 Jan 2003

BAHAU: A male macaque created a stir yesterday in an otherwise quiet neighbourhood in Taman Acbe and Taman Ria near here when it broke free from its cage and started rummaging for food. 

It is learnt that its owner, a rubber tapper, had left it inside his car before leaving for work. 

When he returned hours later, the macaque had escaped and made its way to the adjacent housing estates and created a ruckus, scaring women and children with its antics. 

Fire and Rescue Department personnel were called in to apprehend the macaque but was not successful. 

It is learnt the owner, in his 30s, fled the scene after finding out his pet had escaped.

Morning fire guts outlets

BAHAU: A fire destroyed a coffeeshop and a seafood restaurant belonging to two siblings in Taman Meranti near here yesterday. 

The 1am blaze gutted the kitchen and partially damaged dozens of tables, chairs and kitchen utensils. 

The fire was brought under control half-an-hour later. Losses are estimated at over RM100,000. No one was hurt. 

“We were supposed to prepare for a wedding ceremony ,” said its owner Foo Kok Ming, 40, adding that it was fortunate that several gas cylinders did not explode.

Body found at staircase

KUALA LUMPUR: The body of a woman with multiple stab wounds was found at Kenanga Point apartment, off Jalan Loke Yew here on Friday. 

A police spokesman said that a resident on the 24th floor made the gruesome discovery at a staircase at 9.30am after he detected a stench emitting from the flight of steps leading to the roof of the building.  

Initial investigations revealed that the victim had 10 stab wounds on her neck and chest. It is believed she was killed elsewhere and dumped at the apartment.  

Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Hadi Ho Abdullah said the case had been classified as murder.

16 flee from blazing bus

JOHOR BARU: Sixteen bus passengers had a narrow escape when the vehicle caught fire at the Jalan Skudai-Pontian junction here on Friday morning. 

A Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said the fire could have begun following an engine failure. 

A passenger saw smoke coming out from the back of the bus and told the driver who promptly stopped the bus and ordered the passengers off.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Hannah Yeoh slams Ronnie Liu over remarks, Liu hits back, labelling her 'immature'
Salam Ramadan
Unmasking fugitive Nicky Liow
Interpol’s help sought to find Liow
Alvin Goh and brother charged in court
Experts: Keep SOP in mind
PM calls for revival of Jawi
King: Seek blessings of Ramadan to strengthen faith
PM: We’re on track to meet target
Sinovac vaccine safe for those aged 60 and above, says Khairy

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers