Kubang Pasu give JKR Kedah a football lesson in inaugural tourney

We did it: Victorious Kubang Pasu players and officials posing for a group photo after becoming the first team to lift the K-League title.

KUBANG Pasu district soccer team maintained their unbeaten streak in the K-League competition when they blasted JKR Kedah 4-0 in the final to bag the title at the Universiti Utara Malaysia mini stadium in Sintok, Kedah.

After a scoreless first half, a four-goal blitz in the second half enabled Kubang Pasu to become the first winners of the inaugural K-League title organised by the Kedah Football Association.

Mohamad Fuzairie Jaafar converted a penalty in the 51st minute to open scoring for Kubang Pasu while Norhizam Wahab scored the second in the 56th minute and Rosmaidi Othman made it 3-0 in the 66th minute. Anas Shaharom found the net in the 86th minute for the fourth goal to send JKR Kedah reeling to their first defeat in 10 matches, erasing JKR Kedah’s hopes of a happy ending.

Both teams had qualified for the final showdown with an unbeaten record in the preceding league competition to vie for the top cash prize of RM10,000.

In their earlier encounter on Oct 25, they had played to a one-all draw.

Progress denied: A Kubang Pasu player (yellow stripped shirt) being tackled by a JKR Kedah stopper during the K-League final at the UUM ground in Sintok, Kedah.
Progress denied: A Kubang Pasu player (yellow stripped shirt) being tackled by a JKR Kedah stopper during the K-League final at the UUM ground in Sintok, Kedah.

The recent final played under floodlights got off to a fast pace with both sides seeking an early goal. JKR Kedah led by the indomitable Lee Jyh Yuen in midfield held the edge for the first 20 minutes matching their opponents for speed and skill.

But as the match wore on, JKR Kedah’s challenge began to wane and found themselves on the defensive against a fitter and faster Kubang Pasu outfit with their constant probes.

JKR Kedah’s attacks were effectively checked out by the alert and sturdy Kubang Pasu defence frustrating their opponents with timely tackles and good understanding.

The first half ended with neither side being able to breach their opponent’s defence.

Kubang Pasu coach Mohd Kamal Idris, a former Kedah stalwart, made a couple of changes in the second half, bringing in Ahmad Hidayat Shamin and Norizan Harun to replace Mohd Ariff Azmi and Mohd Aliff Fitria.

The changes proved to be effective as Kubang Pasu got a penalty five minutes into the second half. Referee Mohd Zaidi Zakaria awarded a penalty when JKR Kedah defender Fairuz Ramli in the penalty area manhandled striker Rosmaidi Othman in the 51st minute.

Mohamad Fuzairie Jaafar made no mistake from the spot to score his 10th goal of the tournament and sent S. Ragesh the wrong way.

The goal proved to be a catalyst for Kubang Pasu as they then came in waves to give JKR Kedah a torrid time. The pressure earned Kubang Pasu their second goal in the 56th minute when Norhizam Wahab found the net during a goalmouth melee to make it 2-0.

The fast pace began to have a telling effect on JKR Kedah players as they began to wilt and resorted to late tackles after losing possession to their opponents on several occasions.

JKR Kedah were punished for their inept display in the 66th minute. Rosmaidi Othman, who displayed dash and good ball control, gained possession in the JKR Kedah half, due to a misunderstanding among the JKR Kedah players, and dribbled past several players to score the third goal.

With a comfortable lead in hand, Kubang Pasu had the luxury of moving the ball around with an occasional sweep down the flanks.

In the 77th minute, JKR Kedah’s Ahmad Radzi Din was sacked for a brutal foul on Kuzairie Jaafar.

The 10-man JKR Kedah conceded another goal in the 86th minute when Anas Shaharom blasted the ball from outside the penalty area to record a 4-0 victory.

Kubang Pasu skipper Mohd Fuzairie Jaafar was named the Top Scorer of the tournament with 10 goals in as many matches while midfielder Rozaimi Johari, who played role in both defence and attack was named the best Player of the Final.

Universiti Utara Malaysia received the fair play trophy.

The challenge trophy, a replica, the mock cheque for RM10,000 and individual trophies for the players were presented by State Youth, Sports, Arts and Heritage Committee chairman Aminuddin Omar.

JKR Kedah received trophies and RM5,000 prize money.

Kubang Pasu coach Mohd Kamal Idris said that he was proud of his team for winning the title without losing a match throughout the tournament.

“All the players in the squad will be retained for our next assignment which will be the FA Cup competition to be organised on a carnival basis by the Kedah FA at the UUM ground in April,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Sport , Northern Region , football


Stories You'll Enjoy