Residents oppose redevelopment near two flood retention projects in KL


Residents are concerned about future projects surrounding the Delima retention pond in Kepong, which has been alienated for development. — SHALINI RAVINDRAN/The Star

THOSE living near the Delima and Wahyu flood retention ponds in Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, are urging the authorities to reject any future projects that could reduce the capacity of existing retention ponds.

They said that even if those plots of land had been sold, the government should limit development as it would affect the capacity and function of flood retention ponds.

Yee: The authorities must ensure that no project jeopardises these ponds’ flood mitigation function.
Yee: The authorities must ensure that no project jeopardises these ponds’ flood mitigation function.
Community activist Yee Poh Ping cited the previous land sale near the Delima, Taman Wahyu and Jinjang retention ponds for mixed-use development projects.

Yee said only six out of the 14 plots had been developed, with several others remaining untouched.

“There is hoarding around the Delima and Wahyu ponds along Jalan Sibu.

“This could mean future projects are set to take place here.

“The functionality of the pond must not be compromised if a development project goes through.”

He noted that Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Federal Territories) Hannah Yeoh had stated that Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) would not approve planning permission for any development on retention pond land unless specific conditions were met.

“They must keep to their assurances. These water bodies are important infrastructure for flood mitigation in the northern part of the city.

“The authorities must ensure that no project will jeopardise its flood mitigation function,” Yee said during a site visit.

Taman Wahyu Residents Association former chairman Ong Kean Eng said the area was badly affected during the December 2021 floods.

“It shows that any reduction in the pond’s size could cause more flooding.

“The area already has many high-density developments and allowing more will bring further problems,” he said, adding that new projects would worsen traffic congestion.

In 2018, DBKL stated that any proposed development of the site would not affect the function of the Wahyu and Delima flood retention ponds.

It said the 2.1 million cubic metres of flood mitigation capacity would be maintained.

The Delima pond is one of six in Kuala Lumpur that were approved for development, according to the Auditor-General’s Report 2019 Series 2.

However, following the December 2021 floods, several Kuala Lumpur MPs called on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and police to investigate possible abuse of power over approval for development of the retention ponds.

The six retention ponds in question were Batu, Nanyang, Delima, Wahyu, Batu 4½ and Taman Desa.

Based on the A-G’s report, the pond land had been approved for transfer of ownership by the Federal Territories Land and Mines Office ( PTGWP) to four companies for residential and mixed development.

On March 16, 2022, then Federal Territories deputy minister Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias clarified in Parliament that of the six ponds, only Wahyu and Delima were approved for development.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Roping in residents for Sungai Way rehabilitation
AI transforming modern bereavement care industry
MB: Selgate hospitals to strengthen Selangor healthcare
Working overtime to end KL flood defence project
‘No to childcare centre in KL neighbourhood’
Penang Wesak Day parade to feature 23 floats
Minister pays tribute to his ex-teachers from Bukit Mertajam
Four firms shortlisted for MBPJ solar rooftop project
Spotlight on Sabah, S’wak flavours
Fields of gold drive economic future

Others Also Read