SIX months after being ordered to move out, an unlicensed makeshift funeral parlour that operated in the residential area of Kampung Pandan, Klang has shifted to a commercial building about 2.3km away.
Klang Municipal Council (MPK) Corporate Communications director Norfiza Mahfiz said it took six months for the funeral parlour operator to find a suitable site to move to.
The parlour previously operated from a modified container with a makeshift roof extension next to an old folks home in Jalan Telipok.
The container was used as an office and to run funeral services, including the sale of coffins.
“Due to protests from nearby residents, MPK acted as a mediator to settle the issue. We gave the proprietor of the business six months to find an appropriate commercial area and at the same time appease residents,” she said.
Norfiza added that in the six months, burning paper offerings and joss sticks during funerals were not allowed.
MPK secretary Elya Marini Darmin had, in a letter dated Dec 30, 2021 to the Jalan Telipok Kampung Pandan Residents Association (JTKPRA), said the funeral parlour owner had been ordered to end all funeral services and to relocate to an appropriate site.
StarMetro had on Jan 18, 2022, reported that MPK would take action against the operator if they failed to abide by the order.
Norfiza added as a go-between, the council conducted checks from time to time to prevent nuisance at the site.
JTKPRA president Dr Elangovan Krishnan said the committee was happy with the outcome.
“We hope MPK will instruct the operator to dismantle the makeshift structure left on the road.
“Our residents are worried that drug addicts will use the vacant container as their drug den,” he added.
StarMetro first highlighted the issue in November 2021.