A PRIVATE company is facing legal action from Penang Island City Council (MBPP) for conducting earthworks on a piece of land at Bukit Relau Range without approval.
MBPP Engineering Department head A. Rajendran said the company had forwarded the application for planning permission to the council but their application was not yet considered.
“The earthworks started early this year.“MBPP has been monitoring the activities conducted at several parts of Bukit Relau Range, ” he said during a site visit by the city council yesterday.
Rajendran said the earthworks conducted without approval were on Lots 274,275,276 and 6621, which were located at a hilly area between Jalan Bukit Gambir and Jalan Paya Terubong.
He said the sites, which were privately owned, were planted with durian trees and several other fruit plants.
He said a cemented road was built at the sites, including slope stabilisation works.
“The lowest ground level of the sites was about 200 metres high and the highest was 350 metres, ” he said.
He revealed that during MBPP and police surveillance at the sites on April 15, eight workers, who were at the hilly area, were apprehended for investigation.
Rajendran said the city council issued not just one stop-work order notice but three on March 5, July 14 and July 15 under Section 70A of the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974.
He said that since Aug 24, the council had taken extra steps to ensure there were no more earthwork activities being conducted at the sites by instructing its personnel at the area to monitor the sites.
“As a result, we have not seen any more activities at the sites, ” he said.
He said action had been taken against the same company in 2015 for similar offences at a nearby location, adding that it was slapped with a RM10,000 fine.
Also present at the site were councillors and engineers.
Did you find this article insightful?