THE Penang Island City Council (MBPP) has been given specific orders to tear down the illegal structures on Bukit Laksamana in Teluk Bahang.
State Local Government Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow said the Engineering Department had gone to the site to check on the latest development.
“I have given the directive to tear down any structure there. There was no approval given for any type of work.
“I think the works were probably for agriculture purposes. However, let the council clarify the matter,” Chow told a press conference at Komtar yesterday.
More than 2ha of land was found to have been cleared of vegetation on Bukit Laksamana when Teluk Bahang assemblyman Datuk Shah Headan Ayoob Hussain Shah and the media visited the site on Thursday.
Shah Headan had said that there were plans to build a 36-chalet resort in the area located 200m above sea level.
In a statement, the council said they did not receive any development proposal for Lots 199, 201, 811 and 812 on the hill.
“We will take legal action under Section 70A Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974 against the perpetrator.
“Stop-work orders were issued to the land owner of Lots 811 and 812 on April 9 last year and the land owner of Lots 199 and 201 on Jan 12.
“Despite the stop-work orders, mitigation works are still allowed at the site,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, Penang Water Supply Corporation said in a statement that the corporation was not empowered to take any action against any party for developing projects on a private land.
“We’re naturally concerned as the projects are near the Teluk Bahang catchment areas.
“We have filed reports on this matter to the Penang Water Regulatory Body since last year, and it’s their responsibility to investigate thoroughly and take the necessary action under Penang Water Supply (Catchment Area) Order 2009,” the corporation said.