Jackie Chan's 'Rush Hour 4' will be distributed by Paramount after Trump's reported request


By AGENCY
The movie would reteam Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in the action-comedy series launched in 1998, with sequels in 2001 and 2007. Photo: Handout

After President Donald Trump’s reported intervention, Paramount Pictures is set to distribute Brett Ratner’s Rush Hour 4, a project that Hollywood had eschewed after earlier sexual misconduct allegationsagainst the director.

Paramount Pictures on Tuesday was in closing talks to distribute the film, according to a person close to the negotiations who requested anonymity because they weren’t authorised to announce a deal. Paramount would be stepping in to take a distribution fee on the film, not finance it.

In 2017, during the #MeToo movement, six women said Ratner sexually harassed them in a Los Angeles Times report. Warner Bros., which had a US$450mil co-financing deal with his production company, severed ties with Ratner. Ratner, who denied the allegations, hasn’t produced a film this decade.

But on Sunday, Semafor reported that Trump personally requested Paramount take on Rush Hour 4. Paramount recently merged with Skydance in a US$8bil deal that required regulatory approval from the Trump administration. Trump has praised the studio's new chairperson and chief executive David Ellison, the son of Oracle executive chairperson and prominent Trump supporter, Larry Ellison.

The White House didn't immediately comment Wednesday.

It was reported that President Trump personally requested Paramount take on 'Rush Hour 4'. Photo: AFP
It was reported that President Trump personally requested Paramount take on 'Rush Hour 4'. Photo: AFP

Ratner had been shopping Rush Hour 4 after Warner Bros., which released the three previous films in the franchise, passed on the project. The movie would reteam Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in the action-comedy series launched in 1998, with sequels in 2001 and 2007.

Ratner has managed to get one other film made: a documentary on first lady Melania Trump. Earlier this year, Amazon MGM Studios acquired the film for a reported US$40mil. It’s set to open in theaters Jan 30. – AP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Entertainment

Thai actor Ray MacDonald dies at 49
Julie Andrews, 90, will not reprise role in ‘Princess Diaries 3,’ says she’s retired
Philippine singer Vanessa Blanca dies at 30 after accidental fall in bathroom
Prince Harry to learn how much failed Daily Mail lawsuit will cost
'Wednesday' actress Jenna Ortega would go all day without food or water on set as child star
Hayden Panettiere's mum blames ex Brian Hickerson as history of abuse faces closer scrutiny
Former HK actor Lo Hoi Pang, 84, thanks Chow Yun Fat for motivating him to stay active
Former Miss HK Shirley Yeung live streams up to 10 hours a day to support family
Singaporean celebs Elvin Ng and Lee Teng post painful goodbyes to their late dogs
Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to the UK with their children, British newspaper says

Others Also Read