All the film and TV productions have stopped since the government implemented the movement control order (MCO) in an effort to prevent further spread of Covid-19.
With the order extended until April 28, some producers have voiced to a Malay daily last week their wish to resume productions.
Harian Metro quoted producer Fadzil Teh of Zeel Production requesting for the government to allow production companies to go back to work with certain conditions in place including ensuring everyone involved keep to strict hygiene practices.
His request, however, was rebutted by the president of Film Directors' Association of Malaysia (FDAM), Ahmad Ibrahim,
As reported by MStar, The Star's Malay portal, Ahmad said it had told its members to adhere to the MCO since it's not safe to resume productions yet
He told MStar: "The FDAM would like to state that (production companies) shouldn't take the MCO lightly. Our cooperation and faith towards the government is utmost importance to ensure the safety and the health of our family members during these uncertain times."
He instead advised: "This is the perfect time for those involved in TV and film productions to think of ways to build back our industries."
Ahmad added that FDAM would boycott producers who insist on resuming their productions during the MCO.
On April 13, the Ministry Of Communications And Multimedia released a statement saying the government is looking into ways to help the creative industry that are affected because of Covid-19.
The press release from Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah also mentioned the fact that many production houses have put in requests to allow the creative industry members to go out and work again.
Saifuddin however stated: "Although there is an improvement in the government's effort to curb the pandemic, we are not there 100% yet. The lives of every Malaysians must be the priority. I will discuss the matter with the Health Ministry and the National Security Council."