The Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, known as the “Oscars” in the food circles, have released its Best-of-the-Best list. And Malaysia has 13 books on the list.
This Best-of-the-Best list collects the cream of Gourmand cookbook award winners between 1995 and 2020.
With participation from 106 countries and 785 culinary publications, the list is divided into 11 categories, such as Food, Publishers, Lifestyle, Charity, Countries and Drinks. As a country, France takes top spot, with its books making up 11% of the list.
The good news is Malaysian books have also made their mark in this Best-of-the-Best selection. Here are the books that got themselves into the Gourmand hall of fame:
- Kristang Family Cookbook (Marshall Cavendish, 2015) by Chef Melba Nunis in the Women Chef Book category
- The Best Of Chef Wan (Marshall Cavendish, 2008) by Chef Wan in Celebrity Chef/Television World
- Two Friends, One Cuisine (YTL Hotels - Johan Lafer Strumburg, 2013) by Johan Lafer and Chef Wai in Hotels
- The Malay Kitchen (Thermomix, 2018) by Suriya Abdullah in Corporate
- Kulit Manis, Terengganu (My Viscom, 2010) by Rosita Abdullah in Local - Region
- Tasty Asia (Thermomix, 2018) by Fifi Leong in Asian - Published in Asia
- Tok Tok Mee (Trishaw Press, 2018) by Gerald Tan in Street Food
- Food For Your Eyes (Star Media Group, 2012) by Dr Kenneth Fong Choong Sian and Goo Cui Heengin in Health & Nutrition
- Hayley’s Vegetarian Garden (MPH, 2010) by Mohana Gil and Tan Vay Fern in Children's Book
- Johor Palate (2015) by Tanjung Puteri, Kalsom Taib, and Hamidah Adul Hamid in Food Heritage
- Fruitastic (MPH, 2007) by Mohana Gill in Fruit
- The Rice Pot (Her World, Blu 2017) by Yenni Law in Rice
- Pesta Nukenen (Widman, 2015) by Datin Nikki Legun and Sinah Maran Tadun in Charity Cookbook - Asia.
The Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, founded in 1995 by Spaniard Edouard Cointreau, celebrates the best food and wine books, printed or digital, as well as food television shows.
The winning culinary books will be displayed at the Paris Cookbook Fair, which will be held from June 3-7 as part of the Village International de la Gastronomie event.
More info: www.cookbookfair.com.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful