Petronas finds gas 90km off Sarawak


Petronas senior vice president of Malaysia Petroleum Management Mohamed Firouz Asnan said: “The Dokong-1 exploration well is one of several recent successes in Malaysia’s exploration activities."

KUALA LUMPUR: Petroliam Nasional Bhd found a gas from the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417 production sharing contract (PSC), located in the shallow waters of Baram Province.

In a statement issued through Bernama on Wednesday, the national oil company said the well was about 90km off the coast of Sarawak.

The Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,810 metres in mid-January 2021.

The discovery of a gas column measuring more than 80 metres in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI-VII reservoirs further validates the potential of the remaining prospects in Baram Province.

“This finding of contaminant-free gas in Dokong-1 not only revives Baram shallow clastics play but also proves the presence of more sweet gas opportunities within the area, ” it said.

PTTEP HK Offshore Ltd is the operator for Block SK417 PSC with 80% participating interest while Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 20 per cent.

The PSC was signed in March 2018 as a result from the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.

Petronas senior vice president of Malaysia Petroleum Management Mohamed Firouz Asnan said: “The Dokong-1 exploration well is one of several recent successes in Malaysia’s exploration activities.

“Monetisation of sweet gas discovery in Baram Province can be supported through existing infrastructure and will contribute towards Petronas’ aspiration in delivering reliable, stable and cleaner energy supply to domestic and global markets, ” he said.

“In addition, the Dokong-1 discovery reinvigorates the entire exploration landscape of the Baram Province, strengthening the role of Baram gas supply network as part of the larger Sarawak gas system.

“Petronas, together with the PSC parties, are currently undertaking further evaluation to determine the full extent of the discovery, ” he added.

On a seperate note, Petronas will be offering four shallow water blocks in Sarawak as part of the upcoming Malaysia Bid Round 2021, which will take place on Friday.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Business News

Inta Bina bags RM106mil contract from Mitraland�
DBS, StanChart weigh bids as Citi retreats from Asia consumer business - sources
Kossan registers best-ever quarterly earnings�
Ajiya sees tough quarters ahead amid shortage of raw materials�
Oil hits US$68 on Libya force majeure, although pandemic surge weighs
FBM KLCI rebounds, gains 7.28 points
DBS, StanChart among potential bidders for Citi's Asia consumer business
Indonesia's central bank keeps interest rates steady
Petronas Gas allocates capex up to RM1.3bil in FY21
UK unemployment falls again under government's jobs shield

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers