Newcrest takes Telfer gold mine off table


SYDNEY: Newcrest Mining said it has called off the proposed sale of its Telfer gold mine in Australia, and will instead invest to extend the mine’s operations as it seeks to maintain the company’s overall gold output this year.

Newcrest, which posted a net profit of A$546mil (US$403mil) for the year to June 30 after a A$2.2bil loss a year ago due to writedowns at its Papua New Guinea operations, said there had been considerable interest in Telfer.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Business News

Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Watts from water
Singapore’s financial sector a big winner
Up in Arms - or up the value chain?
Asia bonds for diversification
Smart city can’t beat the traffic
Powering a new reinvestment cycle as demand surges
AI disruption fears rock markets
Private equity hits a sixer
Dubai luxe property keeps booming

Others Also Read