PETALING JAYA: Indian restaurant operators who are facing serious worker shortage are urging the government to approve the foreign workers replacement quota soon, especially to replace workers who have already returned home.
Malaysian Indian Restaurant Owners Association (Primas) deputy president C. Krishnan said almost all restaurant operators are affected, with many short-staffed and struggling to run their businesses.
He added that 2022 was the last time approvals were granted to hire new foreign workers for Indian restaurants.
“When a foreign worker goes back, we need replacements. New restaurants are also entering the market due to developments in the country. This means we need new workers fast,” he said when contacted.
“The current applications process for new foreign workers started very late, but the deadline to submit was too early. It didn’t give restaurant operators enough time to submit their applications,” he said, adding that technical issues with the system further compounded the problem.
Primas is also urging improvements in government policies on foreign worker quotas that remain unclear and slow-moving.
Krishnan said the lack of synchronisation between relevant ministries has caused prolonged uncertainty for restaurant operators, especially applications for the foreign worker employment quotas (Gantian) scheme.
“There isn’t a clear regulatory standard on this issue for us. It’s about having aligned and synchronised policies that are fair and just,” he added.
Previously, Primas posted on social media that they met several ministries on Feb 12, where they were informed that the matter is currently under discussion.
Primas represents more than 1,000 members nationwide, comprising between 3,500 and 4,000 Indian restaurants. There are also an estimated 10,000 mamak restaurants operating across the country.
Separately, Krishnan said lodging requirements for foreign workers have also posed challenges for restaurant operators.
He added that while operators are prepared to comply with stringent guidelines, policies must be logical and consistently implemented, adding that different local councils sometimes impose varying accommodation requirements for foreign workers.
“Indians restaurant business can be left in a limbo because of these things,” he said, adding that operational costs were also high.
Sharing his own experience as a restaurant owner in Klang, Krishnan said he recently faced difficulties when his chef fell ill and was unable to work.
Another Indian restaurant operator in Petaling Jaya, who wants to be known as Rajes, said she has been facing problems getting new and replacement foreign workers despite having prepared all the paperwork to be submitted to the Foreign Workers Management One-Stop Centre.
“I have prepared all the paperwork, but am still waiting for the ministry’s portal to open and accept applications.
“They informed earlier that applications will be accepted in Jan 19, so I am not sure what is going on.
“The quota for new workers and replacement workers has not been opened due to the heavy restrictions and bureaucracy,” she said, adding that currently she needs 20 foreign workers for her restaurant, as she also does catering.
“Business has been challenging since we opened five years ago, as we deal with a worker shortage. My existing workers have to work overtime.
