ADVERTISEMENT

GoAuto to invest RM250m in Gurun


From left: Kedah executive committee member Datuk Dr Ku Abd Rahman Ku Ismail, Mukhriz, Ahmad and Malaysia Automotive Institute CEO Mohd Madani Sahari at the car launch.

From left: Kedah executive committee member Datuk Dr Ku Abd Rahman Ku Ismail, Mukhriz, Ahmad and Malaysia Automotive Institute CEO Mohd Madani Sahari at the car launch.

GURUN: Go Automobile Manu-facturing Sdn Bhd (GoAuto) has spread its wings here with a new investment of RM250mil to build a second plant.

The new plant spans 5.2ha and can boost its production from 25,000 units to 50,000 annually. It is expected to be operational in the third quarter of 2016.

The second plant is part of GoAuto’s RM2bil five-year investment plan in partnership with China’s Great Wall Motor Co Ltd in the energy-efficient vehicles segment.

Its chief executive officer Ahmad Azam Sulaiman said the company introduced the GWM M4 model, the compact sports-utility vehicle (SUV), in the market last July and the response had been good with some 2,500 bookings thus far.

“Our new plant will fulfil our export demand, which makes up 60%, while the other 40% is for domestic use.

“This project is Phase Two of our five-year plan which runs from last year until 2018,” he said.

Ahmad added that the new plant would be a catalyst to strengthen its research and development division for future models.

He was speaking during the launch of the second plant and also the Great Wall M4 car by Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir in Gurun Industrial Area.

He said GoAuto would produce 12,000 units of various models this year and add another three service and sales centres to bring the total to 27 centres nationwide.

“In the third quarter of 2014, we managed to enter the foreign market by exporting 50 vehicles to Thailand and Cambodia.

“This year, our export target is 6,000 units, followed by 51,000 units by 2019,” he said.

Mukhriz lauded GoAuto’s expansion plan, saying that the state recognised the automotive industry as one of the contributors to economic growth.

“I’m happy that more jobs would be created with this expansion and the locals would not have to migrate elsewhere to look for work,” he said.

Automotive , goauto , gurun , carmaker

   

ADVERTISEMENT