Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in the way of Iran deal: report


FILE PHOTO: Aerial view of oil spilling from the oil tanker Caroline Bezengi into the water, off Al-Qibliyyah island, Hallaniyat Group Of Islands, Oman, August 13, 2026, in this still image taken from a handout video. -- OMAN TV/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON/ MIDDLE EAST (AFP): US President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman if it "gets in the way" of a deal with Iran on the Strait of Hormuz and called for Iran to surrender.

"If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the shit out of them," Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks.

Trump also said that Iran should "put up the white flag of surrender," according to Yingst's post on X on his interview with the president.

Meanwhile, Oil prices rose on Monday on a lack of progress in diplomatic efforts to resolve the Middle East conflict, though the absence of major supply outages limited gains.

Brent crude futures were up 34 cents, or 0.38%, at US$88.86 a barrel by 1202 GMT after hitting a session high of $89.68. U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 4 cents or 0.05% to US$82.44 a barrel. Both contracts gained more than 5% last week following attacks on tankers operated by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company in the Hormuz Strait and on a Saudi Aramco refinery.

But Bjarne Schieldrop at SEB Research said that prices were unlikely to move substantially higher unless there was a halt in the current flow of crude out through the Strait of Hormuz at night and/or a closure of the Bab el-Mandeb Strait.

For now, prices were trading close to $90 as traders weigh the risk of deeper disruption and shortages against the possibility of a resolution where the Strait of Hormuz is reopened, and oil prices fall sharply, Schieldrop said. 

Over the weekend, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Iran had not decided to resume talks with the United States, while Trump urged Americans to accept slightly higher gasoline prices while the conflict continues. 

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said talks with Oman were continuing and were taking a long time due to the complexity of the subject, the involvement of multiple actors, and countries seeking to undermine the process.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Lee Kuan Yew’s engraved Montblanc fountain pen sells for RM1.87mil at auction
Fans outraged at BTS members attending Chris Brown concert
Indonesian mother ‘grateful’ after emergency birth during 7.7-magnitude quake
Vietnam coach Kim says battle still on despite first-leg advantage as Malaysia vows to fight in Asean Hyundai Cup
Myanmar’s Min Aung Hlaing heads to Russia and aims to deepen strategic ties with Moscow
Heavy rains kill one in South Korea and flood major streets in the Philippines; millions affected
Cricket-India in charge at Galle despite Dinushau's maiden hundred for Sri Lanka
Hotel blaze and stampede kill 15 Hindu devotees in eastern India
This marble waste dump in India is now a tourist attraction
Philippine central bank says inflation to ease gradually; risks remain on the upside

Others Also Read