WHO acknowledges and praises Vietnam's proactive Ebola preparedness efforts


Photo: Vietnam News/Asia News Network

HANOI (Bernama-VNA): The World Health Organisation (WHO) has acknowledged the proactive efforts of Vietnam’s Health Ministry and the government’s urgent direction in strengthening response capacity to Ebola transmission, Vietnam News Agency (VNA) reported.

WHO on May 17 declared Ebola a public health emergency of international concern following an outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus strain in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

Bundibugyo is a rare strain of the Ebola virus for which no licensed vaccine or treatment is currently available.

WHO has assessed the outbreak risk as very high at the national level in the two affected countries, high across Africa, and low globally, including in Vietnam. 

WHO Representative in Vietnam Angela Pratt said the outbreak does not constitute a pandemic emergency.

Photo: Vietnam News/Asia News Network
Photo: Vietnam News/Asia News Network

According to her, in recent days, Vietnam’s Health Ministry has intensified risk communication efforts to provide official information to the public about the disease situation and prevention and control measures.

The WHO Office in Vietnam is supporting the ministry by providing updated outbreak information and technical guidance on surveillance, contact tracing, laboratory testing, clinical management, infection prevention and control, risk communication, travel and border control, and emergency response, it added.

The organisation is also assisting Vietnam in conducting a rapid risk assessment and organising additional training courses on disease surveillance, infection prevention and clinical management, Angela Pratt said, adding that WHO is committed to working closely with Vietnam in these efforts.

According to the WHO, 746 suspected cases and 176 suspected deaths had been recorded. -- BERNAMA-VNA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
WHO , Vietnam , ebola , preparedness , pandemic

Next In Aseanplus News

WHO says new hantavirus case among the Hondius ship's crew
'All gone dark' - Bad weather triggers major blackout issues across Indonesia's Sumatra, confirms top official
Thailand confirms it will tighten Ebola screening for travellers from high-risk areas
Rubio renews ties with India after Trump's China lovefest
Hopes of all-Malaysian final dashed as Arif-Roy King lose to Danish pair
Climate change threatens global plant species as habitats shrink
South-East Asia's fishermen�are being pushed to the brink by fuel costs
13 garment workers dead, over 30 injured in two road accidents in one day in Cambodia
China moves to secure critical mineral supply chain with sweeping new framework
Popular children's song ' Baby Shark' surpasses one billion streams on Spotify, a first for character IP

Others Also Read