North Carolina sues Vietnam's VinFast over delayed EV project


FILE PHOTO: Governor Roy Cooper sits inside a Vinfast VF8 electric car on March 29, 2022 in Raleigh, North Carolina, following an announcement that Vinfast would build a manufacturing facility in neighbouring Chatham County. - The News & Observer via AP

HANOI: The State of North Carolina has sued Vietnamese EV maker VinFast for its alleged failure to meet its commitments to build an electric vehicle and battery factory in the state, Attorney General Jeff Jackson said in a statement.

* VinFast has abandoned work on the 712-hectare site in Chatham County for over a year, according to the statement issued on Thursday (May 21).

* VinFast was earlier licensed to build the plant with commitments to create 7,500 jobs and invest over US$3 billion in North Carolina, the statement said.

* "VinFast has defaulted on its agreements with the State, and VinFast's continued inaction all but guarantees imminent further default," it said.

* VinFast told Reuters it had not yet received any official documentation from the State.

* "Contracts with contractors have already been signed, and construction activities are expected to commence shortly in accordance with the planned schedule," it said in a statement.

* In 2022, VinFast said the plant would have an annual production capacity of 150,000 vehicles. In 2024, it said it would delay the launch of the plant to 2028 amid market uncertainties.

* North Carolina should be allowed to exercise its option to purchase the land for a future manufacturer, and wants to be repaid US$80 million allocated to VinFast for site preparation, the statement said.

* VinFast initially targeted to have the factory up and running by July 1 this year, but had later said it couldn't do so until 2028, according to the statement.

* The EV maker said in the statement that recent changes in US policies related to the EV industry have impacted the project timeline, requiring more time "to evaluate appropriate implementation conditions".

* VinFast announced last week it will sell its Vietnamese manufacturing business for 13.3 trillion dong (US$506 million) to a group of investors who ​will also assume roughly US$6.9 billion in debt.

* Shares in Vingroup, VinFast's parent company, fell 3.5 per cent on Friday morning in Hanoi. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Chinese national charged in alleged scheme to smuggle drug shipments to US
Arif-Roy King reach first semis of season at M'sian Masters
Briton makes 20th Everest ascent, most by a foreigner
Singtel’s shares down 6.4% as Singapore business weakens: Key takeaways from telco’s full-year results
Two suspected 'Geng Shafik' members among five charged with migrant smuggling
Why Indonesia’s plan to gatekeep its biggest commodity exports is rattling businesses and investors
No compromise on sexual misconduct, says Johor Education Dept
Samsung workers to begin vote on pay deal
Australian women linked to ISIS leave Syrian camp, ABC reports
Johor cops detain man for allegedly molesting pupil

Others Also Read