Indonesia heightens Ebola surveillance at border checkpoints after WHO’s global emergency alert


A Congolese health worker checks the temperature to screen a traveller at the Grande Barrier border following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain, at the border crossing point between Congo and Rwanda, in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo May 18, 2026. - Reuters

JAKARTA: Indonesia has stepped up monitoring at its international entry points after the World Health Organisation declared the Ebola outbreak in Africa an international health emergency.

“We are closely monitoring travellers, particularly from outbreak-affected countries. Suspected cases will be referred to designated hospitals and reported through the national emergency response system,” Indonesia’s health ministry communications chief Aji Muhawarman told the Antara news agency on May 18.

The government is also coordinating with hospitals and public health agencies to improve early detection and response capacities, he said.

Aji said the health ministry is expanding public education and risk communication efforts through its official Ebola information portal to curb misinformation and prevent panic.

WHO on May 17 declared the Ebola outbreak in Africa a public health emergency of international concern, the second-highest level of alerts under international health regulations.

This underscored the need for global vigilance, Aji said, even though the health body stopped short of classifying it as a pandemic.

“The declaration reflects cross-border transmission, high mortality rates, and continuing uncertainty over the outbreak’s scale and development,” he said.

The current outbreak is so far limited to the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbour Uganda, with more than 90 dying from the disease.

There is no approved vaccine or specific treatment for the disease’s Bundibugyo strain causing the current outbreak.

Scientists believe Ebola spills over into humans through contact with infected animals, including chimpanzees, gorillas and bats.

It spreads between people through close, direct contact with bodily fluids from infected or contaminated materials.

Early symptoms typically start with fever, fatigue, muscle pain and headaches, before progressing to vomiting and diarrhoea.

Aji urged the public to avoid contact with infected individuals, animals, or contaminated objects, while travellers returning from affected countries should seek medical attention if these symptoms appear within 21 days. - The Straits Times/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Thailand tightens durian standards to boost global competitiveness
Lens on Taiwan’s leisure farms
Philippines rejects special US status for planned Luzon industrial hub
Five teen students drown while swimming in Vietnam river
Ringgit opens slightly higher against US$ amid Middle East developments
Bursa bounces higher as corporate results trickle in
HK singer Law Kar Ying laughs off death hoaxes of himself and wife Liza Wang
SC, Bursa Malaysia propose LEAP market 2.0 to boost MSME fundraising
King grants audience to Anwar
Hunt for six after truck falls into river in rains

Others Also Read