Record number of Rohingya refugees died at sea last year, UNHCR says


Newly-arrived Rohingya refugees look on from their boat on Jan 29, 2025, after authorities prevented the refugees from disembarking and ordered them to remain on board the vessel, at Leuge Beach in Aceh. Around 250 Rohingya refugees are missing after their boat sank in the Andaman Sea on Tuesday. - AFP file

GENEVA, (Switzerland): Nearly 900 Rohingya refugees were reported missing or dead in the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal in 2025, making it the deadliest year on record for the route, the United Nations refugee agency said on Friday (April 17).

More than one in seven of the estimated 6,500 Rohingya refugees who attempted the sea crossing last year were reported missing or dead, the highest mortality rate worldwide for refugee and migrant sea journeys, UNHCR spokesperson Babar Baloch told reporters in Geneva.

The dangerous sea crossings have continued into 2026, with more than 2,800 Rohingya embarking on such journeys up until April 13 this year, Baloch said. In recent years, more than half of those attempting the crossings have been women and children, UNHCR said.

"No one would put their family on a risky boat, knowing that the chances of survival are really low, if the sense of desperation is not there," Baloch said.

Deadly maritime journeys have become a recurring feature of a long-running humanitarian crisis resulting from conflict in Myanmar, as members of the Rohingya Muslim minority continue to risk their lives on overcrowded, unseaworthy boats in search of safety and opportunity.

Their departures are driven by violence at home and desperate conditions in crowded refugee camps in Bangladesh. They hope to reach safety and opportunity in countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand.

This week, the UN refugee and migration agencies said around 250 people were missing after a boat that departed from Teknaf in southern Bangladesh carrying Rohingya refugees and Bangladeshi nationals capsized in the ​Andaman Sea.

Global donor funding cuts, which are impacting humanitarian support, are driving desperation among some of the one million Rohingya refugees currently in Bangladesh, Baloch said.

"This sad and tragic trend continues, this sense of desperation among the Rohingya population," he said.

UNHCR has requested $200 million this year to support the Rohingya population living in the Cox's Bazar camp and on the island of Bhasan Char who rely entirely on humanitarian assistance including food, water, shelter and health. However, it is currently only 32% funded.

Over 1.3 million Rohingya refugees and asylum-seekers remain displaced across the region, including 1.2 million in Bangladesh according to UNHCR. - Reuters

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesian president recognises 'problems' with free meal scheme
'The Son will rise again' Heung-Min is off to his fourth World Cup after being included in the South Korean squad
FIFA finally seals World Cup broadcast deal in China at just US$60mil
Trump says Xi agrees Iran must open the Strait, but no sign that China will weigh in as it believes war should not have started in the first place
Putin to visit China May 19-20, days after Trump trip
Malaysia to strengthen cooperation with UN-Habitat in three key areas
Johor Pakatan says it expected BN to go solo
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (May 16, 2026)
South Korea reports the earliest heat-related death this year on record
At least eight dead, 32 injured in Thailand after freight train hits bus

Others Also Read