'No more investigations here' Japanese anime Detective Conan cosplays banned at China events


Popular Japanese anime series Detective Conan has drawn backlash over its collaboration with manga series My Hero Academia. -- PHOTO: KYODO NEWS via The Straits Times/ANN

TOKYO (Agencies): Cosplay and merchandise sales of popular Japanese anime series Detective Conan have been banned at some events in China, following backlash over recent collaboration with manga series My Hero Academia that had previously been criticised for evoking Japan’s wartime atrocities, according to local reports.

Such bans were introduced for recent events in Beijing, Chongqing and Lanzhou after many criticised the collaboration campaign between the two Japanese works as “insulting to Chinese people”, according to Japanese news outlet Kyodo.

In 2020, My Hero Academia was removed from video platforms in China due to the name of its villain, Maruta Shiga, referencing the Imperial Japanese Army’s notorious black-ops unit Unit 731, which conducted human experiments for wartime biological and chemical warfare research in north-eastern China.

Maruta, meaning logs, was a code name for victims of human experiments, while the name of a renowned Japanese bacteriologist who discovered disease-causing bacteria in 1897 was Kiyoshi Shiga.

The partnership commemorates the 30th and 10th anniversaries of Detective Conan and My Hero Academia respectively. The manga authors have released illustrations of each other’s lead characters as part of the project.

Organisers of the event in Lanzhou, capital of north-western Gansu province, said on Feb 5 that those wearing the kimono, wooden clogs and outfits associated with militarism would be denied entry, claiming My Hero Academia involves “historical issues that hurt the feelings of the Chinese people”.

Hosts of the Beijing fair, held over the weekend of Feb 7 and 8, explained that the prohibitions of cosplay and goods sales were intended to create “a good atmosphere”.

Meanwhile, the Chongqing anime expo also banned cosplay and merchandise sales of popular Japanese game Pokemon in addition to Detective Conan, in response to the anger of Chinese people about a plan to hold a card game event featuring Pokemon characters at the war-linked Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo.

The card game event, originally scheduled for Jan 31, was later cancelled. The Shinto shrine honours Japanese leaders who were convicted as war criminals by an international tribunal after World War II, as well as millions of war dead.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (May 21, 2026)
Vietnam mandates health declarations for travellers from July 1
Boat captains suspected of letting students steer vessels before fatal capsizing in Okinawa
Korean coach Kim Pan-Gon is sure his Selangor FC side will fight on after bitter loss to Buriram United
Thai fruit exports surge 56% in first quarter as Commerce Ministry drives aggressive global campaigns
Indonesia, Malaysia have approved asset transfers to new Eni-PETRONAS JV, PETRONAS exec says
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens
India wants return of stranded ships before sending more to Gulf
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
Indonesian-Malaysian cross-cultural festival Latihan Pestapora Malaysia returns to Bukit Jalil with another exciting line-up

Others Also Read