Metro Manila mayors support plan to reduce flooding by up to 60%


File photo of people wading through a flooded street in Manila on July 22, 2025, after heavy rains caused floodings enhanced by the monsoon. - AFP

MANILA: The Metro Manila Council (MMC) on Wednesday (Nov 12) expressed support for Oplan Kontra Baha (Operation Against Flooding), the national government’s campaign to clean the region’s waterways to reduce flooding by up to 60 per cent.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr launched the initiative earlier that day.

“Through this whole-of-nation approach—uniting the national government, local governments, and the private sector to address flooding in Metro Manila — we are confident the situation will improve significantly,” MMC President and San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora said in a statement.

“Rivers, creeks, and other waterways will be dredged and cleaned as part of this sustained, collective effort for the benefit of all Metro Manila residents,” he added.

Zamora also said San Miguel Corporation President Ramon Ang and Metro Pacific Investments Corporation chairperson Manny Pangilinan pledged logistical and technical support for the project.

According to the MMC president, Oplan Kontra Baha involves the Department of Public Works and Highways, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, and the region’s local government units. The MMC is the MMDA’s policy-making body. — Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Philippines , mayor , floods

Next In Aseanplus News

OpenAI to open its first applied AI lab outside of U.S. in Singapore
Stability through partnership: Why Asean is turning to China
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
China says it will buy 200 Boeing jets, seek extension of US trade truce
Ancient China laws punished men for crying; people with messy handwriting forced to drink ink
Jun Hao, Justin sent packing as Malaysia’s singles woes continue
How does the Strait of Hormuz stand-off look in the wake of the Trump-Xi summit?
United Nations says US$610mil shortfall in life-saving Rohingya refugee aid
Thai faith healer charged with rape, child abuse
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend

Others Also Read