Hong Kong court postpones Jimmy Lai’s trial to Monday (Aug 18) over heart condition


Former Hong Kong media boss Jimmy Lai Chee-ying’s national security trial has been adjourned until Monday after judges expressed concerns about his heart issue that arose shortly before closing submission proceedings.

The Apple Daily founder’s health condition was brought to the attention of West Kowloon Court on Friday, just as the three presiding High Court judges were about to hear closing speeches from prosecutors and defence lawyers in his case of conspiracies to publish seditious articles and collude with foreign forces.

Senior Counsel Robert Pang Yiu-hung revealed that Lai, 77, had recently experienced heart palpitations while in prison, adding that in one incident he felt he would “collapse”.

The defence had earlier sought the court’s permission for Lai’s absence from the remainder of the trial, but the judges rejected the request.

Pang stressed his client did not want “undue attention” on his health condition and that the defence was prepared to carry on with proceedings.

Prosecutor Anthony Chau Tin-hang said that while the prison service’s medical team could provide Lai with necessary medication shortly, it was unable to immediately arrange for a Holter monitor, a portable device used to detect irregular heartbeats.

Chau added that a team of medical professionals were on standby outside the court in case of an emergency.

Madam Justice Esther Toh Lye-ping said she was “a little concerned” and preferred that the hearing begin later to ensure it could proceed regularly. Mr Justice Alex Lee Wang-tang added that counsel should still be able to complete their oral arguments “well before” the eight days previously scheduled.

The government, meanwhile, issued a statement on Friday night to “strongly condemn the out-of-context and fact-twisting reports” by some foreign media outlets, including CNN, which it said had attempted to mislead the public into believing Lai did not receive the medical care he needed.

It said Lai’s lawyers had also made it clear in court that correctional authorities had arranged daily medical check-ups for him and that he had no complaint regarding the medical services.

The statement noted that Lai was repeatedly confirmed to be physically and mentally fit for trial, and a visiting medical specialist from the Hospital Authority had found nothing unusual during a detailed examination on August 7 after the inmate complained of a heart condition.

It said Lai had initially refused the specialist’s advice to put on a cardiac monitoring device before changing his mind on August 13 at another medical expert’s recommendation.

Wearing a long-sleeved white top and a pair of khaki pants, Lai waved to supporters and family members and had a brief exchange with his lawyers before slowly walking away from the courtroom.

Lai, an outspoken critic of Beijing, has been remanded in custody for more than 1,700 days since he was first denied bail in December 2020. He faces life in prison if convicted.

A correctional services van carrying Jimmy Lai arrives at West Kowloon Court on Friday. Photo: AFP

His son, Sebastien Lai Sung-yan, has consistently raised concerns over his father’s health and warned that the tabloid founder may die in prison if Western governments do not step in.

Robertsons, the law firm representing Lai, said in a statement last year that he had been receiving appropriate medical attention for his health conditions, including diabetes.

“He has access to daylight through the windows in the corridor outside his cell, albeit he cannot see the sky. He exercises for an hour every day in a secure area,” the statement added.

Mainland Chinese and overseas governments made their stances clear once again ahead of the trial’s resumption, with US President Donald Trump renewing previous promises to secure Lai’s release.

Trump said during last year’s presidential election campaign that he would “100 per cent” get Lai out of the country, predicting that it would be “easy”.

But in what appeared to be a toned-down version of his earlier pledge, Trump said on Thursday that he would “do everything” he could to secure Lai’s release, while acknowledging Chinese President Xi Jinping would not be “thrilled” by the move.

“I’m going to do everything I can to save him,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Radio. “We’ll see what we can do ... we’re going to do everything we can.”

A Beijing spokesman in Washington slammed “external forces” for smearing Hong Kong’s rule of law and interfering in the nation’s internal affairs. He also depicted Lai as “a key orchestrator and participant in anti-China, destabilising activities in Hong Kong”. - SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
SCMP , Hong Kong , JImmy Lai , Case , Postponed

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesian President Prabowo says new fighter jets herald new age for his country's defensive abilities
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
‘Heavy’ hearts as residents of Wang Fuk Court’s only spared block return again
Coach Jackson confident Thai top team Buriram will be at their best despite the absence of top duo for Shopee Cup final
Couple who took children storm chasing during typhoon spared criminal sentence
PM hails deepening Malaysia-India ties, pledges to strengthen relations
Shanghai Film Festival will not screen Japanese movies this year amid diplomatic row
Wealth shift: Chinese heirs take control sooner as US$11 trillion set to change hands
Spotify 20 is like Wrapped – but it includes all your messy years, too
Big blow as Pearly still sidelined, misses home Masters with Thinaah

Others Also Read