Unwed mother denied childcare subsidies sparks debate in China


BEIJING: A post by a Shenzhen resident claiming she was denied new childcare subsidies because she is unmarried has sparked a wave of debate across social media in China, drawing thousands of comments and reigniting discussions on whether such benefits should extend to single parents.

In the widely shared post, the resident said local health authorities had informed her via text message that her child’s birth did not meet the legal criteria for receiving the subsidy, as the parents had not registered their marriage.

The subsidies are part of a national cash subsidy programme announced in late July for parents of young children, marking a significant step in the country’s efforts to reverse its declining birth rate.

The programme will offer annual cash payments of 3,600 yuan (S$643) for each legitimate child under the age of three, and applies retroactively from Jan 1, 2025.

Although the application was rejected on the basis of marital status, the resident noted that the child’s birth had been lawfully registered.

Citing Guangdong’s population and family planning regulations, as well as its birth registration management measures, the resident expressed confusion over the decision, arguing that births out of wedlock can still be officially registered.

“My child is registered, according to the law,” the resident wrote, adding that she had used maternity insurance for childbirth and received maternity benefits. “It means the childbirth is fully recognised.”

In response, a staff member from the health commission of Shenzhen said the current policy defines “legally compliant childbirth” as requiring a marital relationship. They added, however, that the final rules for the subsidies will depend on guidance from Guangdong’s provincial health authorities.

The official said the current interpretation is based on existing regulations, but whether a marriage certificate will ultimately be required will be determined by the forthcoming province-wide childcare subsidy application system, which is scheduled to be launched by the end of August.

At a news conference on July 30, Wang Haidong, director of the Department of Population Surveillance and Family Development at the National Health Commission, said applicants would need to submit only essential documents proving the child’s identity and the parent-child relationship, such as a birth medical certificate and household registration booklet, to claim the subsidies.

The national and local governments have completed the construction of the childcare subsidy information management system and are currently conducting full-process testing. According to the work plan, application channels for the subsidy will gradually open across regions in late August, with full access expected nationwide by Aug 31, Wang said.

The mother’s post has sparked widespread discussion among netizens, with most arguing that the childcare subsidies should be given to parents without marriage certificates.

“The subsidy is for childbirth, not marriage. Why can’t it be claimed?” said a netizen, noting that the number of single parents raising children has increased significantly in recent years.

“If the policy is aimed at boosting the birth rate, the subsidy should be given to the child, not tied to marriage.” - China Daily/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
China , unnwed , mother , subsidy

Next In Aseanplus News

'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Cricket-India skipper Suryakumar backs opener Sharma despite three ducks in T20 World Cup
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’

Others Also Read