Three Hong Kong hikers, including boy, rushed to hospital after bee attack


Two Hong Kong hikers were taken to hospital by helicopter after being attacked by bees in two separate incidents on a hill in the southern part of the city on Sunday.

Police said they received reports that the hikers were attacked by the bees at Yuk Kwai Shan, prompting the Government Flying Service to send helicopters.

The first case involved a 14-year-old boy who was going downhill at Yuk Kwai Shan in Ap Lei Chau with his 76-year-old grandfather, according to the force.

They became separated when they became frightened by the bees, and the grandfather called police for help at 8am.

The pair reunited after rescuers arrived, and the boy was found with stings on his face and arms. He was rushed by helicopter to Ruttonjee Hospital in Wan Chai and was conscious at the time.

The grandfather was taken to Queen Mary Hospital in Pok Fu Lam by ambulance, and his condition was not serious, the force said.

Bees at Butterfly Valley at Tai Po. Photo: K. Y. Cheng

In the second case, police received a report at 1.07pm from a 22-year-old man, who said he had been stung by bees on his head and hands, also on Yuk Kwai Shan.

A helicopter flew him to the Wan Chai Heliport outside the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, where he was taken to Ruttonjee Hospital by ambulance, authorities said.

His condition was not immediately known.

Separately, at around 4.25pm, a 27-year-old hiker from mainland China was bitten by a monkey near the Shing Mun Reservoir. He sustained a bite wound to the back of his right lower leg.

The man was sent by ambulance to Yan Chai Hospital in Tsuen Wan. - SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
SCMP , Hong Kong , Outdoor , Hikers , Bee Attack

Next In Aseanplus News

Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Thai police go undercover as lion dancers to nab a serial burglar
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Friday (Feb 20, 2024)
Chinese scientists develop AI model to push deep-space exploration
Peru’s President Jose Jeri ousted after ‘Chifagate’ scandal tied to Chinese contractor
Singapore to ease measures against Nipah virus outbreak as condition stabilise
Indonesia agrees to eliminate tariffs on over 99% of US goods, says US trade representative

Others Also Read