Thai PM orders heightened vigilance after bomb scare in southern provinces


Pheu Thai supporters hold placards with portraits of Thailand's Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra as they gather at Pheu Thai Party Headquarter to support Paetongtarn, as she battles to stay in power after drawing sharp criticism of her handling of a border row with Cambodia, in Bangkok, Thailand, on Friday, June 27, 2025. -- REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Bernama): Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has placed all government agencies on high alert and urged heightened vigilance following recent bomb threats in the southern tourist provinces of Phuket and Phang Nga.

She said reports from relevant agencies suggest that the incidents were attempts to create unrest in the region.

The Prime Minister convened a meeting with the National Police Chief, the Commander of the Tourist Police, and the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to assess the situation and ensure close monitoring.

"I have consistently urged all sectors to investigate and closely monitor the situation. Every precautionary measure has been implemented to ensure public safety and prevent harm.

"However, the government remains vigilant. The National Security Council will continue to oversee and intensify operations," she posted  on X on Friday.

Earlier this week, Thai media reported that a car travelling from Songkhla to Phuket was stopped in Phang Nga, where police found a homemade time bomb and arrested two suspects. Suspicious devices were later found and neutralised in Phuket and Krabi, including near the airport.

Though the devices caused no injuries and lacked destructive capability, they raised security concerns in the region.

Police bomb squads confirmed that the objects were designed to resemble explosive devices, likely intended to instil fear and disrupt normal activities.

Paetongtarn also assured the public that all agencies are committed to resolving the matter with the highest level of diligence.

"I extend my gratitude to all officials for their dedication, sacrifice, and resilience in maintaining public confidence and enabling residents to live peacefully.

"To tourists planning to visit, I assure you it is safe to travel and enjoy your visit without concern," she added. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Chinese military urged to overhaul English teaching to improve language skills
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
Bipartisan push grows for Quad summit before Trump’s China trip
US offers more details on claim China conducted secret nuclear weapons test
Late bargain-hunting lifts Bursa Malaysia to end higher
Net foreign inflows into Malaysian bonds reach RM951.9mil in January - RAM Ratings
Hong Kong shares fall after Lunar New Year break, tech drops
‘Stay vigilant even in peace,’ Hong Kong rural leader says in Lunar New Year prophecy
China's Dunhuang draws more tourists in winter
S'pore PM Lawrence Wong arrives in Malaysia for special visit

Others Also Read