PSG's Lee pleads with S. Korea boo boys to back team at World Cup


SEOUL: Paris Saint-Germain's Lee Kang-in has pleaded with South Korea fans to get behind the team at the World Cup after more boos were aimed at coach Hong Myung-bo (pic) despite leading them to qualification.

South Korea reached next year's finals in North America without losing a game but that does not tell the whole story.

The country's football association has been in the firing line, having scrambled about to find a successor after sacking the unpopular Jurgen Klinsmann in February last year.

They eventually settled on Hong, the decorated former skipper who had an unsuccessful stint as coach in 2013-2014, during which they went out in the group phase of the World Cup in Brazil.

The 56-year-old's return a decade later and the way the Korea Football Association (KFA) went about the dragged-out recruitment process went down badly with fans.

He was booed in his first game back and the jeers continued on Tuesday (June 10) even as the hosts celebrated qualification for 2026 with a convincing 4-0 win over Kuwait in Seoul.

"There are people out there attacking and criticising our head coach and the KFA," the PSG midfielder Lee, who was on the scoresheet, told reporters.

"But since we players are also part of the federation and the coach is our boss, people's criticism also affects us if they get out of hand.

"I'd like to ask people to see the more positive side of our team. That will help us play better at the World Cup.

"I hope people will help us and keep supporting us."

Hong has won six and drawn four of his ten matches in his second spell but performances have not always been convincing.

With skipper Son Heung-min struggling for form and fitness, South Korea passed up the chance to seal qualification sooner with 1-1 home draws against Jordan and Oman in March.

That came after a similarly flat 1-1 draw with Palestine in Amman, Jordan. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
South Korea , World Cup , Hong Myung-bo

Next In Aseanplus News

Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Cricket-India skipper Suryakumar backs opener Sharma despite three ducks in T20 World Cup
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’
Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list, says Hanoi
Myanmar issues complete ban on e-cigarettes and e-shisha
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years

Others Also Read