Three arrested in Thailand for allegedly swindling tourists with fake hotel bookings


Three suspects have been arrested for allegedly using fake Facebook pages to deceive tourists in Thailand. - The Nation/ANN

PATTAYA: Three suspects have been arrested for allegedly using fake Facebook pages to deceive tourists, causing losses of around 700,000 baht in fraudulent hotel bookings, Thai police said on Wednesday (May 21).

The Tourist Police Bureau announced that the three suspects were arrested in three separate raids in Chanthaburi, Bangkok, and Ayutthaya on May 20 under arrest warrants issued by the Pattaya Provincial Court.

They are accused of creating deceptive Facebook pages for popular hotels in Pattaya and luring tourists to transfer money for room reservations.

According to the bureau, the suspects have allegedly cheated tourists out of at least 700,000 baht, based on transaction records linked to their bank accounts.

The suspects reportedly used similar tactics by offering cheap room rates at promotional prices and urging tourists to pay a small deposit initially. They then contacted their victims via Facebook messages, pressing them to pay the full amount plus a room guarantee deposit, claiming the promotions were valid only for the current month with limited availability.

However, after victims transferred the money, they discovered at check-in that no bookings had been made and that the bank accounts used for payment did not belong to the hotels.

The three suspects have been handed over to Pattaya police station to face charges.

The Tourist Police have urged tourists to carefully verify whether Facebook pages genuinely belong to hotels before transferring money to reserve rooms. - The Nation/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Thailand , arrest , hotel , bookings , fake , Facebook

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read