First Everest death of climbing season recorded


KATHMANDU: A Filipino climber has died on Mount Everest, officials said Thursday (May 15), becoming the first fatality of this year's climbing season on the world's highest mountain.

Philipp Santiago (pic), 45, was preparing to summit the 8,849-metre (29,032-foot) peak, but was exhausted when he reached the final camp (Camp 4) on Wednesday night, Himal Gautam of Nepal's tourism department told AFP.

"He died at the place where he was resting," said Bodha Raj Bhandari, of Snowy Horizon Treks and Expedition, which organised Santigo's climb.

"We are consulting to bring his body back to the base camp."

Eight Nepali climbers reached the summit of Mount Everest on May 9, kicking off this year's climbing season for hundreds of others, which runs from April to early June.

More than 50 climbers have reached the summit since the route opened, taking advantage of a brief spell of good weather.

Nepal has issued 458 permits to mountaineers this season, who are usually escorted by at least one Nepali guide.

A sea of tents hosting more than a thousand people -- foreign climbers and support staff -- has built up at the foot of Everest.

Over-crowding has become a serious issue on Everest where in 2019 a human traffic jam meant teams were forced to wait for hours at the summit in freezing temperatures, risking depleted oxygen levels that can lead to sickness and exhaustion.

At least four of the 11 deaths on the peak that year were blamed on overcrowding.

Nepal is home to eight of the world's 10 highest peaks and welcomes hundreds of climbers each spring, when temperatures are warmer and winds typically calmer.

Last year, more than 800 climbers made it to the peak of the world's highest mountain, including 74 from the northern Tibet side.

A boom in climbers has made mountaineering a lucrative business since Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa made the first ascent in 1953. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesian police probe Rp 25 trillion money laundering linked to illegal gold mining in West Kalimantan
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
China youth ditch fast living to become ‘old-school humans’; stories get 1 billion views online
Body of drowned Chinese national found
Audrey Fang case: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Probe underway after 72 tigers die at Chiang Mai, Thailand's tiger parks
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
Duterte at International Criminal Court: How he ended up accused of murder in international tribunal

Others Also Read