Six drowning deaths as huge waves hit Australian coast


People watching a large wave breaking on a rock pool at North Narrabeen Beach in Sydney on April 18, 2025, as large swells hit the east coast of Australia. - AFP

SYDNEY: A fisherman died after being swept off rocks near Sydney on Sunday (April 20), stretching the Easter weekend death toll of drownings to six as huge waves battered Australia's east coast.

Emergency services winched two people from the surf at Wattamolla Beach, but one of them couldn't be revived, New South Wales Police said in a statement.

The pair had been fishing when swept off rocks on the outskirts of southern Sydney.

The second person, a 14-year-old boy, was in a stable condition in hospital.

It continued a run of fatalities over the holiday weekend, with the search ongoing for two other people still missing in the surf since Friday -- one off Sydney and one off Melbourne.

Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) issued a warning on Thursday that strong swells would create hazardous surf conditions along the coasts of New South Wales and Victoria.

Three people drowned on Friday in New South Wales, while a woman died and a man went missing after they were swept into the sea near Melbourne.

On Saturday, when swells were as high as 3.5m (11.5 feet) in some places, a fisherman was swept to his death off rocks in southern New South Wales.

SLSA had released data before the weekend showing 630 people had died at beaches without an active lifesaving service over the last 10 years.

Chief executive Adam Weir advised patrolled beaches should be prioritised for safety.

"We know that Aussies and visitors to our country like to go off the beaten track to enjoy camping, fishing and other coastal activities," Weir said in a statement.

"But these coastal locations can present dangers, some that you can see and some that you can't, which is why we have some simple advice: Stop, Look, Stay Alive." - AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Australia , waves , coast , drowning

Next In Aseanplus News

Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Cricket-India skipper Suryakumar backs opener Sharma despite three ducks in T20 World Cup
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read