Indonesia ready to shelter Palestinians impacted by war in Gaza


JAKARTA: Indonesia is ready to temporarily shelter Palestinians hit by the war in Gaza, President Prabowo Subianto (pic) said on Wednesday (April 9), estimating there could be 1,000 in the first wave, as he started a trip to the Middle East and Turkey.

Prabowo said he has instructed his foreign minister to quickly discuss with the Palestinian side and other parties about how to evacuate impacted Palestinians to Indonesia, a Muslim-majority country.

"We are ready to evacuate the wounded, the traumatised, the orphans," Prabowo said, adding the victims would be in Indonesia temporarily until they have fully recovered from their injuries and the situation in Gaza was safe for their return.

Jakarta has been advocating for a two-state solution and has sent humanitarian aid.

Israel's war in Gaza was triggered in October 2023, when Hamas fighters killed 1,200 people in southern Israel, and took some 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Since then, more than 50,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's military campaign, Palestinian authorities have said.

Indonesia wants to increase its role in seeking a resolution to the conflict, Prabowo said, adding this plan is not easy.

"Indonesia's commitment in supporting the safety of Palestinians and their independence has pushed our government to act more actively," Prabowo said, as he was about to embark on an overseas trip which includes Turkey, Egypt and Qatar.

Prabowo's comment comes two months after Indonesia's foreign ministry said it "strongly rejects any attempt to forcibly displace Palestinians" as US President Donald Trump suggested permanently moving Palestinians out of Gaza.

Indonesia was willing to send peacekeeping troops to Gaza if needed, Prabowo said last year before he officially assumed the presidency. - Reuters

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Indonesia , Palestinians , Gaza war , shelter

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read