Briton to be charged for verbally abusing airline employee, damaging aerobridge at Changi Airport


SINGAPORE: He had already boarded the plane when he realised his phone was missing. After being told he could not leave the gate hold room to look for it, the man allegedly verbally abused a female airline employee and damaged the wall of an aerobridge at Changi Airport by kicking it.

The man, a Briton, is slated to be charged on March 17 with using abusive words against an airline staff member and mischief causing destruction to property, the police said in a statement.

The 57-year-old realised he had misplaced his mobile phone after boarding his flight to London on March 8. Hoping to locate it at the airport lounge where he was at earlier, he disembarked and approached an airline staff member in the gate hold room at Changi Airport Terminal 3 for assistance.

She contacted staff at the airport lounge, and was informed that no phone had been found.

The staff member communicated this to the man, and, as the flight’s departure time was approaching, informed him that leaving the gate hold room would result in him being offloaded.

The man then allegedly responded with a slew of abusive and derogatory remarks. As he turned to walk back to the aircraft, he also allegedly kicked a wall panel of the aerobridge, causing damage.

He was subsequently offloaded from the flight, and the Airport Police Division was alerted.

The man will face two charges in court: using abusive words, which carries a fine of up to S$5,000 (US$3738) or imprisonment for up to six months, or both; and committing mischief causing destruction to property, which carries a jail term of up to two years, a fine, or both.

Assistant Commissioner of Police M. Malathi, commander of the Airport Police Division, said that the police do not tolerate any form of harassment or abusive behaviour towards airport and airline staff as it disrupts airport operations and jeopardises the safety of the staff and their ability to perform their duties. - The Straits Times/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read