Family in China accuses mall of negligence after escalator slices off toddler’s fingers


The accident took place at Xingmei City Plaza in Jiangsu province in China. - Photo: Weibo

BEIJING: A family in eastern China has accused a mall of negligence after a two-year-old boy had two of his fingers severed on an escalator at the mall in early February.

According to Beijing Evening News, the accident took place at 5.30pm on Feb 2 at Xingmei City Plaza in Suining county in the province of Jiangsu.

In a video released by the mall on Monday (Feb 10), the boy, who is wearing an orange coat, can be seen with a woman at the bottom of a downward-moving escalator.

He approaches the escalator but falls on the moving steps.

In a panic, the woman immediately picks him up, only to realise his right hand is bleeding profusely.

Another woman in a white coat quickly looks for the emergency stop button at the side of the escalator and slams it.

The boy was taken to a hospital immediately, local media reported.

The mall said the escalator technicians arrived at the scene at 5.40pm and began to dismantle the machine to look for the severed digits.

According to the mall, the workers found the two fingers one after the other in about 25 minutes and rushed them to the hospital in ice packs.

Following the incident, the toddler’s family said on social media Weibo on Feb 10 that his fingers were sliced off due to a sudden malfunction of the escalator and accused the mall of negligence in managing the machine.

Later, in response to a comment on Weibo, the family said the two fingers could not be reattached to the child’s hand as they had been severely contaminated by the dirty condition of the escalator.

Xingmei City Plaza denied the claims.

“The child was injured here, but it was not due to escalator malfunction. Our escalator was working fine,” a management personnel told the media.

The mall said it had offered the boy’s family 20,000 yuan (S$3,700) out of compassion, but the sum was turned down by the family who reportedly demanded 60,000 yuan.

According to Chinese media Yangguang Bao, a police investigation is under way. - The Straits Times/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
Former Goa governor says he advised Thantri to close Sabarimala temple during 2018 women’s entry row
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
World top-ranked Jeeno Thitikul takes third-round lead at her home LPGA Thailand tournament
Scam victims in Singapore lose S$2.9mil in less than three weeks in February after fraudsters pose as officers
When is the best time to open Lunar New Year red packets in the Year of the Horse 2026?
Hongkonger, 63, falls to his death from high-rise while trying to save cat
Laos pushes to promote commercial livestock farming
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
Trump to travel to China next month, with US tariffs in focus

Others Also Read