Brunei High Court dismisses appeal of Malaysian man sentenced for mischief at Customs post; receives four-months jail and two strokes of caning


Image from Borneo Bulletin/ANN

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Borneo Bulletin/ANN): The Brunei High Court has dismissed the appeal of a 39-year-old Malaysian man, who sought a reduction in his sentence for mischief after defying a customs officer’s instructions and damaging an automatic gate barrier at the Kuala Lurah Control Post.

On August 29, Norazman Sahat attempted to evade a customs inspection by driving through the gate while carrying 70 kilogrammes of undeclared fruits.

He had previously paid a fine for failing to comply with a customs officer’s directive under Section 143(b) of the Customs Order 2006.

However, he appealed against the four-month imprisonment and two strokes of whipping imposed for mischief under Section 427 of the Penal Code.

During the appeal, Deputy Public Prosecutor Nurul Fitri Kiprawi argued that the sentence imposed by the Magistrate’s Court was not excessive given the circumstances of the case.

In dismissing the appeal, Chief Justice Dato Seri Paduka Steven Chong highlighted that Norazman’s deliberate attempt to evade customs inspection and the damage caused warranted a severe sentence. – Borneo Bulletin/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Brunei , Malaysian Man , Loses Appeal

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read