United Nations to send mission to Bangladesh to probe human rights violations


The anti-government protests in July began as a student-led movement against public sector job quotas. - Photo: Reuters

DHAKA: (Reuters) The United Nations Human Rights Office on Friday (Aug 30) said it will dispatch a fact-finding mission to Bangladesh, as requested by the interim government, to investigate alleged human rights violations during recent deadly violence in the country.

Last month's anti-government protests, which began as a student-led movement against public sector job quotas, escalated into the deadliest violence since the country's independence in 1971.

The unrest left more than 1,000 people dead and prompted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to resign and flee to India on Aug. 5. Violence continued for some days after she fled.

An interim government led by Nobel Peace Prize laureate Muhammad Yunus replaced Hasina's administration, helping quell the violence as security forces also cracked down on protests.

"The office will deploy a fact-finding team to Bangladesh in the coming weeks, with a view to reporting on violations and abuses perpetrated during the protests, analysing root causes, and making recommendations to advance justice and accountability and for longer-term reforms," Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights Office, said in a statement.

This decision follows a visit by a UN team from Aug 22-29, during which they engaged with various stakeholders, including members of the interim government.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk welcomed Bangladesh’s recent accession to the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance, and praised the establishment of a national commission to investigate cases of enforced disappearances, a longstanding issue in Bangladesh.

"We stand ready to support the Commission in its work, which should be in close consultation with victims and their families," Shamdasani said. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Six rocket launchers prepared for firing were seized in a field in Hlegu Township, Myanmar
Massive central Aceh hole caused by landslide, not sinkhole, says research agency
Thailand's Ratchaburi aromatic coconut wins EU GI status, boosting exports
Pakistan launches deadly strikes in Afghanistan
Number of doctors in Singapore grew about 50 per cent over 10 years, with 6 in 10 trained here
Five years on, surgical instrument removed from Kerala woman’s abdomen
Chinese New Year holiday visits to Hong Kong top 1.16 million
Business hotels expanding into regional areas in Japan, aiming to attract tourists; competition likely to intensify
South Korean dad says he took fall for his son's murder, but court finds him guilty of domestic abuse
Virus kills over 70 tigers in private park

Others Also Read