United Nations chief slams deadly airstrikes in Rafah, heartbroken by images


A man looks on as Palestinians inspect a tent camp damaged in an Israeli strike during an Israeli military operation, in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, May 28, 2024. - Reuters

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned in the strongest terms the May 26 airstrikes on Rafah that hit tents sheltering displaced people.

The UN secretary-general’s spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, in a statement issued on Tuesday, said Guterres was heartbroken by the images of those killed and injured, including many small children.

"As he has said before, the horror and suffering must stop immediately," Dujarric said in the statement.

Guterres had earlier taken to social media to condemn Israel's action in a post on X, formerly Twitter.

Dujarric noted that the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza is now compounded by the unconscionable prospect of a man-made famine.

The UN chief reiterated his demand for an immediate ceasefire and the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages.

"He recalls the recent orders of the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which are binding and must be complied with,” Dujarric said.

The UN’s top court, ICJ, on May 24 issued new provisional measures that ordered Israel to immediately halt military operations in Rafah, located in southern Gaza.

Guterres further stressed that Israeli authorities must allow, facilitate and enable the immediate, safe, and unhindered delivery of humanitarian supplies to those in need, with all crossing points remaining open in accordance with Security Council Resolution 2720 (2023), the spokesperson said.

"We must work expeditiously to restore security, dignity and hope for the affected population,” the statement said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

UN , Guterres , Rafah

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Brave Malaysian amputee finds beauty in a life without limbs
Dagestan political elite to be vetted for links to radical Islam after shootings
Teach kids that bullying is wrong, Fadlina urges parents, teachers
Soccer-Buchenwald memorial provides stark reminders at Euro 2024
Selangor to appeal RM100,000 fine for pulling out of Charity Shield match
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Tuesday (June 25, 2024)
HK actor Ng Siu Hin recalls supernatural encounter at hotel in Malaysia: 'Felt like someone was looking at my phone with me'
Complete oil spill clean-up at Singapore's Sentosa beaches to take three months
Indonesia investigating death of teen allegedly killed by police
Philippines seeking US clarification on anti-vax propaganda operation on Filipinos

Others Also Read