Philippines protests Chinese fishing ban in West Philippine Sea


A China Coast Guard vessel keeps a close watch on a small Filipino fishing boat in this photo taken earlier this month some 93km from Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea. — Inquirernet

MANILA: The Philippines has again protested China’s annual imposition of a fishing moratorium in the South China Sea, including areas within the country’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).

This was the Philippines’ 25th diplomatic protest against China this year and the 158th during the Marcos administration, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

In a statement on Monday (May 27), the DFA said that China’s unilateral fishing ban within the Philippines’ EEZ violated the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos).

China’s fishing ban also “raises tension” in the West Philippine Sea and South China Sea, which contravenes the understanding between President Ferdinand Marcos Jr and Chinese President Xi Jinping to de-escalate the maritime dispute, the DFA said.

“The Philippines [calls] on China to cease and desist from the conduct of illegal actions that violates the Philippines’ sovereignty, sovereign rights and jurisdiction in its maritime zones,” it added.

China imposed the fishing ban in the South China Sea from May 1 to Sept 16. Earlier, it announced that its coast guard would start detaining for 60 days without trial foreigners who trespass into areas in the waterway supposedly under its jurisdiction beginning June 15.

The Philippines has opposed China’s new policy, which the DFA had said would be “in direct violation of international law.”

It instead urged Beijing to “comply with its obligations under international law,” particularly the 1982 Unclos and the final and binding 2016 Arbitral Award.

The DFA also asked China to “adhere to its commitments” under the 2002 Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea.”

It cited Paragraph 716 of the 2016 arbitral award, which states that any Chinese fishing moratorium in the South China Sea that includes the Philippines’ EEZ is considered a breach of Article 56 of the Unclos “with respect to the Philippines’ sovereign rights over the living resources of its exclusive economic zone.”

The arbitral award handed down by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration declared without legal basis China’s claims over most of the South China Sea, including the Philippines’ EEZ.

“The unilateral imposition of the fishing moratorium raises tensions in the West Philippine Sea and the South China Sea, and directly contravenes the understanding between [Marcos] and Chinese President Xi Jinping to manage differences through diplomacy and dialogue and to de-escalate the situation at sea,” the DFA said.

Since last year, China Coast Guard vessels have aggressively harassed Philippine vessels and fishing boats around Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal, also known as Bajo de Masinloc, and tried to block resupply missions to the Philippine military outpost in Ayungin (Second Thomas) Shoal. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Philippines , fishing , ban , South China Sea , China

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Family of Myanmar's Suu Kyi hasn't had contact for over three years
Cambodian PM Hun Manet to pay official visit to Singapore on Tuesday (June 18)
Laos sees fourth month of trade deficit, as Lao kip hits record low
Brunei: Gang robber’s sentence reduced, caning remains
Chinese and Philippine ship collision just the latest in a string of South China Sea confrontations
Indonesian leader Jokowi calls for water pumps to protect crops against heat wave
Eight people suffocate in refrigerated lorry in China; cops launch probe on 'illegal passengers'
Sg Bakap polls: No clear favourites, say analysts
Australian passenger plane lands safely in New Zealand after a fire shuts down an engine
Shanghai shares end at two-month low as traders gauge lacklustre data

Others Also Read