1.6 per cent of Brunei population living with disability: health ministry


BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Xinhua): In findings from the 2021 population and housing survey, 1.6 percent of Brunei's total population, equivalent to 7,024 individuals, report having at least one disability, the country's health minister Mohd Isham Jaafar said recently.

In a speech delivered at an event on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, which is a United Nations-sanctioned day celebrated internationally on Dec 3, the minister said that a significant portion of these individuals, comprising 58.5 per cent, falls within the productive age range of 15 to 64 years, with an additional 25.6 per cent being under 15 years.

Among them, approximately 78 per cent exhibit a single disability characteristic, while the remaining 22 per cent face multiple disabilities, the minister added.

He emphasized that individuals with disabilities encounter extra challenges, underscoring the necessity for comprehensive healthcare to be readily available for their well-being.

The minister said his ministry will focus its rehabilitation efforts on addressing a spectrum of chronic or acute disability conditions in both adults and children. - Xinhua

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Brunei , Disabled Population , 1.6%

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Man arrested for selling counterfeit goods; items worth over S$2mil seized
New ruling in place for exports of all minerals
Australian authorities urge hundreds to flee uncontained bushfire
China unveils names of manned lunar lander and new spaceship crew
Many in Myanmar consider fleeing to Thailand to escape conscription into an army they despise
Sumo great Hakuho demoted over protege's bullying
Everything is illuminated: Tainan lights up for Taiwan Lantern Festival 2024
Don't use ringgit's depreciation as political tool, says PM
Viral fake compilation video of S. Korean President Yoon to be removed from social media
All ears on King's inaugural royal address at parliament opening this Monday

Others Also Read