Major rice buyer Philippines targets self-sufficiency by 2027


Under a revamped five-year programme, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr's administration has identified "key strategies" to enhance production, including climate change adaptation and using digital technology. - PDI

MANILA (Reuters): The Philippines, the world's second-biggest rice buyer behind China, aims to be fully self-sufficient in production of the staple crop by 2027, the agriculture ministry said on Tuesday (April 18).

The pledge comes after previous administrations have failed to achieve the target due to policy missteps and the impact of more destructive weather dampening local productivity.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Philippines , rice , self sufficency , Marcos

Next In Aseanplus News

Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’
Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list, says Hanoi
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
Myanmar issues complete ban on e-cigarettes and e-shisha
Muslims preserve Ramadan traditions and religious bonding all over South-East Asia, and even in Myanmar to Cambodia
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Next South China Sea code of conduct negotiations set in Singapore in last week of February

Others Also Read