Families sue over fatal crush

SEVEN Indonesian families whose relatives died or were injured in one of the worst stadium disasters in football history are suing officials they consider responsible, their lawyer said.

The stampede in the Javan city of Malang in October left 135 people dead, including more than 40 children.

It has been primarily blamed on an excessive use of tear gas by police, according to a preliminary investigation.

The civil lawsuit targets eight parties, including Indonesia’s football association, the national police, league organiser PT Liga Indonesia Baru, and the owners of Malang football club Arema FC.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo is also listed as a co-defendant.

Imam Hidayat, a lawyer representing the families, said they were demanding accountability and compensation.

“We have to consider the livelihood of the families of those who died or were heavily injured,” Hidayat said.

“They, in our view, need compensation, although lives cannot be exchanged with money.”

The families are seeking around 62 billion rupiah (RM17mil) in damages, he said.

The suit was filed to a court in Malang on Wednesday, Hidayat added. A court spokesman confirmed to AFP it had been received.

The plaintiffs are also asking the government to cancel a plan to demolish the Kanjuruhan stadium, arguing it should be made a museum as a reminder of the tragedy.

Widodo has pledged to rebuild the structure according to FIFA standards.

The stampede took place after police fired tear gas into packed stands when supporters invaded the pitch at the end of a league match between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya.

The government suspended competitive football games after the incident but league matches resumed early this month without fans in the stands.

Hidayat, part of an advocacy team for those affected by the tragedy, has also sent a letter to Widodo demanding the creation of an investigative team independent from police to ensure a transparent and objective probe.

After a police-led investigation, six people including three police officers were charged with negligence causing death.

But on Wednesday police released one suspect – a former director of PT Liga Indonesia Baru – after he was detained for the maximum period without charge. — AFP

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Aseanplus News

Cambodian farmers warned to prep for imminent droughts
Taiwanese star Will Liu's asking price for a 20-second video on social media is RM388,000
Cops raid online scam call centre in Kajang, 16 nabbed
Thailand cuts power to Chinese-backed casino complex in Myanmar
Vietnam businesses need to embrace green practices to export to EU
Temperatures not predicted to exceed 38�C even at height of upcoming El Nino, says Nik Nazmi
1MDB, subsidiaries get leave to continue lawsuit against Jho Low's associate
Ringgit ends higher against US dollar on rising oil prices
PDI-P considering Jokowi’s youngest son for Depok mayoral bid
Australian surfer jailed for drunken rampage in Aceh deported after paying compensation

Others Also Read