Cambodia to deport recovered Nigerian monkeypox patient, says immigration official


A colourised transmission electron micrograph of monkeypox particles (red) found within an infected cell (blue). - AP

PHNOM PENH, Aug 7 (Xinhua): Cambodia will deport the recovered monkeypox patient, Osmond Chihazirim Nzerem, to his birth country Nigeria and ban him from re-entering the kingdom for three years, an immigration department official said on Sunday.

The 27-year-old Nigerian man, who previously fled from neighboring Thailand despite a positive test result for monkeypox, was arrested by Cambodian authorities in the capital Phnom Penh on July 23 and sent to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital for treatment.

The man recovered and was discharged from the hospital on Saturday.

"The General Department of Immigration has decided to deport the Nigerian man and prohibit him from re-entering Cambodia for three years," General Department of Immigration's deputy director-general and spokesman Keo Vanthan said.

The Nigerian man is the first and only imported monkeypox case in the Southeast Asian country.

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared on July 23 the current multi-country monkeypox outbreak outside of the traditional endemic areas in Africa as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC).

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Bath assistants serve elderly with a soothing experience
Bangkokians advised to work from home until Friday as more floods expected
20 soldiers detained for robberies at sea, says Home Ministry
Finding their bodies: Indonesian fan's desperate search for family after soccer stampede
Elon Musk’s everything app ‘X’ sounds a lot like China’s WeChat
Indonesian soccer association dodges blame for Malang tragedy
Social media, messaging apps linked to over 600 sexual crimes against children below 18, Parliament told
Brunei ranked first in cost of redundancy dismissal
Overall market stays bullish on Budget 2023 hopes, improved global sentiment
Over RM2.5bil lost to phone scams since 2018, says Home Minister

Others Also Read