Singapore rules out further tightening of pandemic curbs; current measures enough, says minister


SINGAPORE, May 29 (dpa): Singapore's pandemic-related restrictions are "working" and have helped to stall a slight rise in case numbers since last month, the city-state's finance minister, Lawrence Wong, said on Friday (May 28).

Saying case numbers had "even declined slightly" since the rules were brought in two weeks ago, Wong ruled out any "further tightening of posture" ahead of the June 13 end-date for the measures, which include limiting restaurants to takeaway or delivery, and capping attendance at events at 100 people.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Ringgit ends three-day rally against US dollar amid geopolitical concerns
Substance for Putin, ‘face’ for Trump: China, Russia deepen alliance to counter US
Malaysian doctor draws a kolam every day at 4am as a mindful, meaningful ritual
How tiny capacitors became the latest AI-driven investor darling
Brunei and Singapore deepen legislative relations
Buriram United midfielder Dougall keen to avoid drama as Thai side seek to add second Shopee Cup title
Vietnam student fights for his life after suicide attempt following alleged bullying at school
Thai Army says Cambodian shots near Surin violated ceasefire understanding
Auto-rickshaws in New Delhi get Trump makeover for US Independence day
Formula milk inclusion in Indonesia's free meals programme draws opposition

Others Also Read