Death toll rises to 19 in tanker truck explosion


  • AseanPlus News
  • Monday, 15 Jun 2020

Aftermath: Rescuers searching for survivors in the rubble of a building damaged by the tanker explosion near Wenling, Zhejiang province. — AFP

HANGZHOU: The death toll from a tanker truck blast in east China’s Zhejiang province rose to 19, local authorities said.

A total of 172 injured people, including 24 seriously injured, were receiving medical treatment in hospitals.

The accident occurred at around 4.40pm on Saturday when a tanker truck loaded with liquefied petroleum gas exploded near the Liangshan Village in Daxi Town under the city of Wenling on a section of the Shenyang-Haikou Expressway.

A second blast happened when the blown-up truck fell onto a workshop near the expressway.

The explosions caused the collapse of residential houses and factory workshops.

So far, more than 2,660 rescue personnel, 151 rescue vehicles and over 30 large rescue machinery and equipment were sent to the site for rescue work, said Zhu Minglian, vice-mayor of Wenling.

More than 630 medical workers were also mobilised for the treatment of the injured, said Zhu.

Local environmental protection authorities carried out real-time monitoring of the air and water around the accident site. No obvious pollution was found so far, said Zhu.Rescue and search efforts are underway. The cause of the accident is under further investigation. — Xinhua

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

explosion , tanker ,

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site