MH370: Next-of-kin have received USD50,000 from airline’s insurance so far


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 12 Jun 2014

PUTRAJAYA: The next-of-kin of at least seven passengers who went missing onboard flight MH370 have received US$50,000 (RM160, 700) per claimant as advanced payment from the airline’s insurance.

A final payment will be issued after the search and rescue mission is wrapped up, said Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Datuk Hamzah Zainuddin who chairs the MH370 next-of-kin committee.

The seven claimants included six Malaysians and a Chinese national, while 40 more claimants for missing Chinese passengers are being verified by the Chinese government.

"Most claimants from other countries have also appointed their own lawyers and we are dealing with them.

"That's what we are ready to pay, including for all crew members," said Hamzah Thursday when asked if all 239 passengers of the missing flight would be receiving the same advanced payment amount.

It has been more than three months since the Beijing-bound flight has disappeared after leaving the Malaysian airspace from the KL International Airport on March 8.

A total of 239 people of various nationalities were onboard the flight, including 12 crewmembers and 153 Chinese citizens.

On May 7, two months into the search and rescue mission for the missing flight, MAS closed down its Family Assistance Centres around the world after admitting that the search will be a prolonged process.

The airlines had advised that it would continuously update the next-of-kin of missing passengers via other channels, including telephone calls, text and e-mail messages, and face-to-face meetings.


 


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

MH370 , MAS , Missing plane , Insurance

   

Next In Nation

RM600bil questions: MACC likely to call three former cabinet members for questioning
Wisma Putra: No Malaysian victims involved in recent Bandung bomb attack
GE15: BN candidate Johari retains Tioman state seat
DID issues flood preparedness notice for five states
Johor lawmaker urges state to redraw maritime border with Singapore
1MDB trial: Najib fails in latest attempt to remove Sri Ram
5G: Comms and Digital Ministry to meet Finance Ministry over rollout, says Fahmi
Solve problems affecting the people, PM Anwar tells his Cabinet
TikTok took down 1,126 provocative videos after GE15, says Fahmi
Negri MB reiterates call for joint state elections next year

Others Also Read